Sunday, June 26, 2022

Terrible Souvenir

Since March 13, 2020, we've traveled quite a bit, always taking precautions with masks, social distancing, and hand sanitizer whenever possible. Each time, we were exceptionally careful because of my mom's health.

Over the past 27 months, we've been to Vero Beach, Shenandoah NP, Hilton Head, Hawaii, WDW (four times!), all 50 states, 6 MLB baseball stadiums, 2 NHL hockey arenas, a month-long road trip, Canada, Portugal, a Disney Cruise, Puerto Rico, and most recently, Dominican Republic.

Over the course of that travel, I took 26 flights and spent 93 nights in a hotel room.

Not once did I get sick. Until now.
Guess what I came home with from Punta Cana?
COVID-19.

This past Wednesday was the final night of our vacation, and I had a slightly sore throat, but honestly didn't really think much of it. I didn't feel particularly great on our flight home - lots of pressure/ear pain, which is unusual for me - and I wore a mask because of the sore throat the previous evening. After getting home on Thursday night and sleeping in my own bed, I felt pretty good all day on Friday, but when I woke up yesterday morning, I was super congested and it felt like there were knives in my throat.

Since my mom was scheduled to come back home yesterday morning after spending a week at B1 & S1's house while we were away, I took an at-home COVID test and it showed a positive result almost immediately. I texted my mom right away and then took another at-home test (a different brand), which produced the same result. Obviously, my mom's return home was canceled, as was the family weekend visit we had been so looking forward to all week. Both C and I scheduled PCR tests at Walgreens yesterday afternoon, and while his results were good news, mine were not.

I'm hoping the symptoms aren't too awful and that they don't last long. I had all sorts of things planned for the upcoming week, which I'll have to cancel, but I'm so fortunate that school is on summer break right now so I can focus on getting better.

not looking good

definitely not good

yikes


Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment