Saturday, September 17, 2022

Failure to Communicate

My mom had a very tough week, but after three days and three nights in the hospital, she was discharged last evening. Obviously this is wonderful news, but it was an extremely trying day because of the very poor communication that took place. C and I had been waiting all day to hear what was happening because we knew my mom was having another CT scan at some point during the day.

In the course of a few hours, there were so many changes to what they were doing. It was so frustrating because both C and I were working and my mom was texting with updates. C had been handling things for me since Tuesday; he took her to the ER, stayed with her while they ran tests, took her for a surgical procedure, and ultimately admitted her. We went together every night to visit her, but he was really the one taking care of everything so that I didn't have to take time off work.

Yesterday at about 1:30, my mom texted us to tell us they had looked at the CT scan and determined that she needed another surgical procedure and it would be happening at 3:00. 90 minutes later! I'm not going to lie - I went into a full-on panic because I didn't want her to be alone and I knew C had a busy afternoon at work. I quickly packed up my stuff, spoke with my principal, and left school. By the time I arrived at the hospital, they had decided against those plans but had instead taken her to insert a picc line and send her home. The case manager asked me if I'd brought an oxygen tank, to which I asked how I should have known to bring an oxygen tank because no one had told me that the plans had changed and that my mom would be coming home. As you might imagine, I was not only confused, but also quite annoyed, which was exacerbated by the fact that SHE was irritated with ME for not having a tank.

I called C and we decided that he would bring a tank and we'd meet halfway between home and the hospital (keep in mind this was now late Friday afternoon so traffic was a complete delight). While I was gone to do this, one of the staff members at the hospital said to my mom, "I'm sorry you misunderstood about being discharged," and when my mom told me that, I was livid. How dare they try to blame my mom, who is fragile and on serious medication?!? Shouldn't the case manager speak to a family member to explain what's happening, especially when discharge is happening?!? I was reminded once again that patients need a family member or friend with them to ask questions and have concerns addressed, because the way things went down yesterday was unacceptable. Absolutely unnecessary confusion and distress due to THEIR failure to communicate appropriately!

To literally add insult to injury, my mom and I were finally driving home and the hospital called; the nurse admitted that she had failed to remove my mom's IV! She had left the IV in her arm! She asked if we'd left already - um, yes, like twenty minutes earlier - and then if I could drive back to the hospital. It took a great deal of self-restraint not to shout, "Are you kidding me right now?" but I just simply refused and said we weren't turning around. Honestly, I was so over it all. I like to think I'm a patient person, but when it comes to my mom, I can't handle incompetence that could have dire consequences for her.

We finally got home, got my mom settled, and B2 arrived to help take care of her this weekend. And in case you're wondering, my mom removed the IV herself; she was a nurse for 43 years, so thankfully it was no big deal to her. Today, a visiting nurse came to administer the meds through the picc line, which C will be doing for my mom for the next two weeks. What would I do without him?!?

What a long and tiring week. Hopefully we won't have to return to the hospital any time soon!

so glad my mom is home!

Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment