Monday, August 19, 2013

Fentons

It is no secret:  I love the movie Up.  That doesn’t quite capture the enormity my feelings, but I cannot think of a better way to describe the emotional connection I have with the film.

The tagline is “Adventure is out there!”  And I'm not implying that I should get credit or anything, but I’ve been calling things, both big and small, “adventures” for years. Groceryshopping?  Adventure.  Moving to a city where we know absolutely no one?  Adventure.  Adopting five rescue dogs?  Adventure.

So I love the idea that adventure is out there.  Because long before the movie made it a great catch phrase, we were living the idea every day.

That said, there is another quote in the movie that I find more poignant, courtesy of Russell:

“And afterwards we’d go get ice cream at Fentons.
I always get chocolate and he gets butter brickle.
Then we sit on this one curb right outside
and I’ll count all the blue cars and he counts all the red ones.  And whoever gets the most wins.

 I like that curb.

It might sound boring, but I think the boring stuff is the stuff I remember the most.”

If anyone reading this thinks animated movies are unsophisticated or simple or just made for kids, clearly they could not be more wrong.  What an amazing statement about life!  The really big things are cloaked in the mundane minutiae of day-to-day events and happiness can be found in recognizing how important these each of these little moments is in the storyline of one's life. 

The movie’s adventure ends with Russell, Carl, and Dug sitting on the curb outside Fentons eating ice cream and counting blue and red cars.  You know, boring stuff.

Cue tears.  Cinematic perfection.

So, after landing at LAX yesterday, C and I drove five hours north and went to Fentons.

A lot of people might think it is crazy to drive that far for ice cream.

We don’t listen to those people, because to us, it wasn’t just ice cream.


It was another one of our adventures.




Black and Tan Sundae - almond and vanilla ice cream with caramel and hot fudge

Chip & Cookie Sundae - vanilla and chocolate ice cream, with a cookie, hot fudge, and chocolate chips

Dug - decked out in Fentons gear

A master at work

The kitchen area where the ice cream is made

We loved it so much, we went back the next day...

Chocolate peanut butter crunch ice cream with hot fudge

Peppermint ice cream with hot fudge

We agree...adventure is out there!!!  You just need to recognize it, because it might be disguised as boring stuff.

Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment