Thursday, November 6, 2014

Hurdle #2

My doctoral program requires 54 credits of course work.  As a full-time student, this means 9 credits (3 classes) each semester, for three very long years.  In addition to this coursework, there are three hurdles to clear before I can begin writing my dissertation proposal.  These three portfolio review meetings are an opportunity to meet with my committee, which is comprised of three professors.

Students spend MONTHS crafting essays, collecting documentation, updating their portfolio websites, and designing a presentation for the day of the review.  During the meeting, the professors ask tough questions and students must be knowledgeable about the research in their area of interest and also able to make connections between the research and their own work.

As one might imagine, this is a daunting process.  Sitting alone in a room with three brilliant people you respect and admire is intimidating as it is, but if you combine that with the fact that you are the one doing the majority of the talking while the professors evaluate you, it's easy to see how stressful this is.

I am very proud to report that I passed Portfolio #2 today!

My committee members are amazing. Their support and encouragement knows no bounds and I left the meeting today feeling reassured that I am on the right path for where I want to be at the end of this journey.  I could not have selected more phenomenal committee members to guide me through this program.  I am feeling immense gratitude for each of them today and I know their influence and direction will continue to shape me as a researcher as I work through the home stretch of the portfolio process.

EDIT/UPDATE:  I had a few people ask about "Hurdle #1"...I passed Portfolio #1 in July.  :-)

Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment