Saturday, March 7, 2015

First Solo Presentation

The purpose of this post to document a milestone in my career!

I presented by myself at a national conference AND it was the first time I was "first author" - both of which are goals I have been working towards for a few years now.

C and I planned to drive to Atlanta yesterday morning, but the weather had other plans.  Thanks to winter storm "Thor," we ended up leaving Wednesday night after I got home from class.  (Side note - I find it ridiculous that we're naming winter storms now.)

We drove to Raleigh, arrived at the hotel around 2:30 am, slept for a while, and were back on the road at 9:30 am, heading to Atlanta.




Once we arrived, we checked in to the conference hotel and I checked in for the conference.  I spent the remainder of the evening doing homework and preparing for my presentation, while C watched "House of Cards."  Not the most exciting Thursday night we've ever had, but I did get a lot of work done!








My presentation was at 11:30 am yesterday and it really went quite well!  I was a little nervous, but once I began the presentation, I forgot all about being nervous and just focused on the task at hand.  It didn't hurt that right before my presentation, I had a flurry of texts wishing me luck, which bolstered my confidence.  I am so lucky to have such awesome people in my life!

I had 30 people attend, which may not seem like a lot, but was pretty much a full house.  To compare, at the presentation I did in Orlando last month with two professors, we had 16 people attend and we were thrilled.  So 30 was a pretty big deal for me!

The audience asked some good questions and I had several people chat with me afterwards.  Some of the very kind feedback included that the presentation was great because it was informative, well-organized, and that I had a natural, easy-going manner of speaking.  In all honesty, I was relieved to hear this because when I'm presenting, I worry about sounding like I'm tripping over my words or that I don't know what I'm talking about.  So that comment was really reassuring!

When I met C in the lobby of the hotel after I was done, I could not stop smiling - partly because It was done and I didn't have to think about it anymore, and partly because it went better than I had even hoped!

I look forward to opportunity to do more presentations at conferences in the future, and it feels great to have this first solo one under my belt!

Happy Tails to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment