Saturday, July 25, 2015

Newsies


Disney has transformed several of its films into Broadway shows.  Until last month, we had only seen two of those shows – Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King.  Beauty and the Beast was incredible (and I've already written about it), but I am not a fan of the Broadway version of The Lion King.  I realize that this is a very unpopular opinion.  It sometimes seems like everyone who has ever seen it loves it except for me.  Perhaps I just have such a fondness for the movie that the Broadway show never really stood a chance.  I don't know.  I mean I love the film and Broadway versions of Beauty and the Beast, so I just can't explain it.  But I did not enjoy The Lion King on Broadway at all.

So when I learned that the Broadway adaptation of Newsies was on tour, I was unsure about whether I'd like it or not.  I love the original movie, whose soundtrack is a permanent playlist on my phone, and even though it was very much a complete box office disappointment, I thought it was great.  An Alan Menken musical starring Christian Bale?  Yes, please!  I don't care that it is a little cheesy!

After twenty-plus years of working quotes from the movie into daily conversations ("Headlines don't sell papes!  Newsies sell papes!"), we decided to risk being disappointed and bought tickets.  After all, my dislike of The Lion King on Broadway did not diminish my love of the film.

In short, Newsies was PHENOMENAL!  While there were some changes to the plot and the lyrics, the spirit of the movie was very much alive.  The set and the choreography were absolutely unbelievable and the actors did an amazing job!  In Beauty and the Beast, during the song "Gaston," there is a stein clinking routine that is very impressive.  I had no idea that Newsies would have something just as awesome…during "Seize the Day," the actors danced on newspapers and it was nothing short of riveting.

I am so glad we were able to see this show because it exceeded my expectations at every turn!








Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment