Monday, August 8, 2016

Crater Lake


Crater Lake is easily my favorite place on earth.

I say that knowing full well that there are countless places on earth I have yet to see.  Why?  Because it is the only place I've ever been that turned out to be even more awesome in reality than I had imagined it to be in my mind.

I had seen photos of Crater Lake when I was a teenager and decided I wanted to visit, but it wasn't until I was 25 that my dad and I took a trip there together.  The first moment I saw Crater Lake is as clear to me now, 18 years later, as it was when it happened.  That trip remains one of the greatest experiences of my life and to have those memories with my dad is priceless.

C and I visited in 2001 because I wanted to share it with him, too, and he also fell in love with it because it is such a beautiful, special, magical place.  Yes, it is the deepest lake in the U.S., at 1,943 feet.  Yes, it formed as the result of a violent volcanic eruption that caused the top of a mountain to collapse into itself.  And yes, the water is the most gorgeous shade of blue you will ever lay eyes on.  But it is the intangible qualities, the emotions it inspires, that make it my favorite place.  I could sit and stare at that lake for all eternity and never tire of it.

The fact that I hadn't been back for 15 years kind of surprised me, but I realized that my memories of it are so vivid that I feel like I can visit any time.  That might sound cheesy, but it is so true.

Last week, C and I spent two nights in small cabin just outside of the park.  Unfortunately, there was a forest fire raging on the west side of the park, so quite a large section the drive around the rim was inaccessible.  As you can see from the photos below, that made no difference to us!  One of the two nights, we watched the sunset and it was breathtaking with the smoke from the forest fire snaking up into the sky.  Afterwards, we stayed in the park for several hours until it was pitch black so we could stargaze.  What a perfect night.

I could go on and on about my love for this park, but I think the photos speak for themselves (all taken with my phone).























even the local residents are mesmerized by Crater Lake


my favorite human <3


Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment