Tuesday, January 8, 2019

2018: A Look Back

If this doesn't sum up my year,
nothing does!


2018 was quite a year! So many great things took place, but one of the most devastating events of my life also happened.



Happiest event of the year…my brother proposing to his girlfriend! I adore her and am so excited to gain a sister in 2019!

Most stressful time of the year…my mom needing emergency surgery and spending 19 nights in the hospital over the summer. Thankfully she continues to grow stronger each day!


Biggest change of the year…resigning from my teaching position to stay home and care for my mom. It has turned out to be the best decision for countless reasons!

Taking a Personal Recess


Saddest time of the year…Maddy passing away unexpectedly. I have never experienced such sorrow and guilt in all my life. While we have had to say goodbye to five other dogs, there was a sense of peace and closure with those deaths, even though they have each left permanent deep wounds on my heart. Even with Chelsea, I knew she'd had a wonderful life and lived to a ripe old age in relatively good health. But Maddy's death was so different. Shocking. Traumatic. Life altering. I am not the same person I was as a result of this loss. Our house is no longer filled with the sunshine she exuded through her comical antics and watching Ginny grieve has been extremely challenging. I've written about it on a few occasions as a way to process my thoughts and feelings and every time I have failed. I just don't have the words.


The only thing that has helped us heal is to remember all of the joy she brought into our lives…we watch videos of her, look through photos we have, retell stories…all of these things keep her memory alive and we know how very lucky we were to have called her ours. It has only been in the last couple of weeks, more than four months after her death, that I have begun to feel the clouds lift from my life. She was always happy, always up for adventure, always ready to give love, and always wagging her tail…I am trying to live my life in the same manner she lived hers.



By the numbers:

- I spent 31 nights away from C, due to nights at the hospital with my mom (15 nights), visiting my dad (12 nights), traveling with my mom (3 nights), and 1 red-eye flight

- I spent 50 nights in a hotel room

- I spent an additional 5 nights at family members' houses with C

- I took 5 red-eye flights, two of which occurred in the same week

- I took 27 flights on 7 different airlines.

This means I spent 91 nights not at home!

Of course, this also means we did a lot of traveling!

January:

February:

March:

April:

June:
Savannah

August:

September:

October:

November:

December:

So there you have it! An entire year of living summed up in one post! Goodbye 2018…here's to more grand adventures in 2019!

Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment