Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Amsterdam 2019

This was our third trip to Europe in three months! Amazing!

Saturday, April 13

We left home at 9:30 am and drove to JFK, thinking we would have plenty of time to spare because that drive usually takes us about five hours. Not today! It took eight hours, and by the time we parked, took the AirTrain to the terminal, went through security, and hurried to the gate, our flight began boarding within five minutes. No joke. And that was with the benefit of TSA pre-check! Thankfully, we only had a backpack each, so there was no luggage to contend with!

The plane had my favorite layout, 2-4-2, so we had two seats to ourselves. We flew on Delta, and this was our second time flying to Europe on Delta this year, and I must say, I have been very impressed. I like to consider myself a pretty seasoned traveler and I'm often underwhelmed by airlines (if it's a discount airline such as Frontier, Spirit, etc., that's a different story and I know what I've signed up for!). But between flying to/from France in February and this flight, Delta has made a very positive impression on me! I hope I'll be able to say the same about our flight home at the end of the trip!




Sunday, April 14

The flight was a red-eye and we arrived in Amsterdam Sunday morning. We took a train from the airport to the city center and walked over to our hotel.

If you've read any of my travel posts, you know I always take pictures of the hotel – our room, the lobby, etc. – but I have exactly two photos of the outside of our hotel.

Not a fan. Period. Staff was unfriendly, it was very expensive, and our room was something you'd find in a Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express. Not that there's anything wrong with those hotels – we stay in them all the time. But we don't pay many hundreds of dollars a night for them.

Just so you have a sense of why I was unhappy, here's a little comparison of recent hotels.

View from our hotel in Tokyo:



View from our hotel in Barcelona:



View from our hotel in Lake Louise:



View from our hotel in Paris:



And this was the view from our hotel in Amsterdam:



Not impressed!

Additionally, we have generally found hotels in Europe to be rather accommodating when we have arrived very early after a red-eye flight (we've been given free breakfast, we've been given a better room than the one we booked so that we could get settled more quickly, or we've been assured that our room would be given priority so that it would be ready as quickly as possible). Not here! They could not have been less accommodating and offered absolutely terrible customer service, bordering on being outright rude.

We dropped off our bags and wandered around the city for a few hours, and I knew immediately that Amsterdam was not my cup of tea. It was so crowded, so dirty (trash everywhere and all garbage bins overflowing), and completely overrun with people that it is clearly ill-equipped to handle. Like a much worse version of Times Square, but where other pedestrians will bulldoze right into you without a second thought and you are at constant risk of being run over by bicycles or cars. Whatever seedy things you've heard about Amsterdam, they're probably fairly accurate. That's my only comment on that.

We went back to the hotel in the early afternoon and were finally assigned the room with that spectacular view pictured above. We were pretty exhausted from traveling, so we slept for a few hours and then went out to grab some dinner. I didn't feel particularly safe and therefore had no interest in being out at night, so thank goodness for Netflix!

Monday, April 15

Today was the saving grace of this trip – and really our motivation for visiting Amsterdam in the first place – the tulips at Keukenhof Garden!

We took a 45-minute bus ride outside of the city and had the most beautiful, wonderful afternoon! It reminded me so much of the afternoon we spent at the flower park in Tokyo! The tulips were unbelievable! The pictures of the fields do not even come close to doing them justice! The colors were beyond stunning and it is a day that will long live in my memory. I loved every second of it!

Tuesday, April 16

With it being the week leading up to Easter, everywhere we went was ridiculously crowded. We booked this trip last year when I thought I would be teaching and this week is Spring Break. No doubt it would have been busy any place we'd chosen to travel, but it was also the peak time for the tulips, so that compounded the issue here.

We really just explored the city today. Nothing of any importance to report here, although I was very pleasantly surprised by how clean the train station and metro was, given the general lack of cleanliness everywhere outside of the train station. The city, in my opinion, is unremarkable. Every canal seems the same.

The best part of the day was visiting the public library at night; what a beautiful building! So between the tulips yesterday and the library today, the trip was not a complete bust.

Wednesday, April 17

We packed and checked out, and then took a high-speed train from Amsterdam to Brussels. The train was great and the trip took a little less than two hours.

I honestly can't express how glad I was to leave Amsterdam today. It is absolutely my least favorite of the European cities we've been to and I have zero interest in ever returning. There are just too many places to see in the world to waste time going back to a place that left such a terrible taste in my mouth.

I can't wait to see what Brussels has in store!


Around Amsterdam:
















The Library:















Sweets:


definitely worth mentioning...
a freshly made stroopwafel!

FaceTiming with Ginny:




TULIPS!!!!! (along with some other gorgeous flowers!)























































Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment