Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Take Care of Each Other

I don't even really know how to start this post, but basically I just wanted to say that it is so important to check in on your family members and friends.

Without going into specifics, it has been a very stressful few months. I was completely overwhelmed. And I knew it. I was getting only a couple of hours of sleep each night. I was stressed and worried all the time. But even though I knew it, it took my husband and my best friend pointing out that I was acting differently to help me see just how unhappy I had become.

I kept telling myself things would get better, but the reality was that things just seemed to get worse and worse. So after a draining, tear-filled day, followed by a lengthy discussion during which C reassured me that the world would not end, I made a decision to take something off my plate. I had spent weeks worried that I would disappoint people. That people would think less of me. I have never been good at admitting when I don't have everything under control and I was feeling immense pressure to just keep going. Now that I have some perspective on things, I don't like thinking about how miserable I would have been had I continued down that road.

I have learned that it's ok to take stock of your situation and decide that a change is needed. That your well-being is more important than any potential judgment you might face from others. That people will surprise you with their care and kindness when you finally admit that you can't actually do it all on your own.

I cannot thank C and my best friend enough for recognizing what was happening long before I did; it took concern from these two amazing people in my life to admit that things were not good. C proved for the gazillionth time what "for better or for worse" looks like in action and made me laugh every day even when I felt like I didn't have the energy to crack a smile. My best friend joked that she was worried that I was turning into a "grumpy unicorn" and constantly checked in even though she also has far too much to do in her own life. C helped me make the decision, and once it was official, my best friend was the first person I told.

Because of their support and love, I am much happier now!

So I guess my point is…check in on your family and friends. If you notice they're not quite themselves, don't accept their "I'm fine" response because we're conditioned to accept that stress is just part of daily life. You never know the positive impact you might have! I am very fortunate to have people like C and my best friend to look out for me and I am doing my best to look out for all of the people in my life.

It's so important for us to take care of each other!

 
Just a sweet picture of my
most loyal - but silent - supporter
:)

Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment