Monday, November 2, 2020

Vote

I got my green card in May 1994.

I became a citizen in May 2004.

In between those two dates, I got married, I became a teacher, I earned two Bachelor's degrees and a Master's degree, and I paid taxes.

You know what I didn't do? Vote.

Not because I didn't want to vote. 

Because until that amazing day in 2004, I didn't have the right to vote.

When I was able to vote in the 2004 presidential election, it was one of the most exciting days of my life.

Voting two weeks ago may have looked different – masks, social distancing, etc. – but it was no less exciting for me.

I hope the thrill of having my voice heard never fades! I don't ever want to take for granted the profound privilege and responsibility that comes with being a citizen of this country.

So many people are counting on those of us who can vote to do so. Those without a voice. Those who don't have the right to vote, for whatever reason. I was one of those voiceless people. For a decade. And I counted on citizens to vote and to help move the country in a positive direction. I'm on the other side now and it's my civic duty to take part in this process. If you're a citizen, it's your duty, too.

Don't be lazy.
Don't be a cynic.
Don't be jaded or apathetic.

VOTE.




Happy Tails to you…

No comments:

Post a Comment