Thursday, November 2, 2023

Life Lately October 2023

October seems to have flown by, which I guess is a good thing? We're a month closer to winter break, and that cannot come soon enough for me. I am so looking forward to quiet days with no obligations because for much of the past three-plus months, it has felt as though I've been on a treadmill that I can't get off of!

We started the month by going to Pixar Putt in Philadelphia; we took Avalanche to Shenandoah National Park for the day; we spent a weekend in WDW; and then spent a weekend with family while my dad visited. I guess it's no wonder the month flew by!

One day when I was driving to school, I spotted two huskies running down a very busy road in the opposite direction. I took the first u-turn I could and although they were no longer on the main road by the time I backtracked, I guessed correctly about where they went and turned into a residential neighborhood where I spotted them again. Despite following them for about 20 minutes and speaking with three different people along the way (none of whom recognized the dogs), they refused to come to me whenever I stopped and got out of my car, and they ultimately jumped over a railing and into a wooded area where I could no longer follow them. A failed rescue attempt. I thought about them all day and I hope they made it home safely!

Not only did Avalanche celebrate his 12th birthday this month, he also made three trips to the vet. The first was routine for vaccinations, but as a result of the exam and bloodwork, not only did we find out that he had an ear infection, but he showed some indicators for Lyme disease. This required a return trip for more testing and medication, but I'm very happy to report that all is fine on that front now! The third trip was because he cut his foot during a walk; he loves to walk among the sharp brambles and broken branches, despite our disapproval, so he had to be on a different medication for that. Can I say how fun it's been to try to get him to take his pills?!? He doesn't eat cheese. He doesn't eat peanut butter. He has no interest in any kind of food like that. We'd try to hide the pills in his food, but some of the time, he'd find them and spit them out. Over all those years of having Dachshunds, if one of them refused to take a pill, I would simply open their mouth and push the medication down their throat. Easy peasy! If anyone thinks I'm going to try to shove anything down Avalanche's throat, they're complete insane. I know just how strong his jaw is and of course I wouldn't want to traumatize him in any way and undo the trust and love we've built up over the past ten months. The good news is that he is fine, the cut on his foot has healed, and his follow-up bloodwork looks great!


staring intently at the exit while at the vet

he is so well-behaved when we take him out in public!





admiring the neighborhood decor


excited about his birthday treat!


husky shedding season continues

fur is everywhere

EVERYWHERE




watching our niece and nephew play soccer




testing out some playground equipment





we NEVER take him to dog parks,
but this one was empty when we arrived for a walk,
so we let him off leash



he mostly walked the perimeter
LOL






being dramatic

they meet me every day after school


I always open my car door so I can reach over
and pet him, and on this day, he backed up and
sat right beside my car to wait for head scratches


he doesn't sleep on our bed
(even though he is welcome to - but he gets hot very easily!),
but he does sleep on the floor beside my side of the bed!

the huskies I followed



they were fast and determined, so I never stood a chance

we watch Frankenweenie every year
and he was watching it with us!

one of my best friends and I showed up at our
other best friend's house looking like this on Halloween

I continue to be so lucky with this car!

macbook on the left is more than 11 years old
and other than not holding a charge well, still works perfectly;
macbook on the right is my new laptop,
which I'm excited to start using

this guy is the best...always making me laugh with
funny memories about my mom and
always consoling me when the grief is too much


Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment