Thursday, March 6, 2014

Ginny comes home!

So about 40 hours after Ginny's surgery, I got a call that she could come home.  40 hours!  Can we just let that sink in for a minute?

I am going to say it - and forgive me if this is boastful - but my dogs are badass.  Seriously.  Each one amazes me every time they go through something with how they not only survive, but thrive.  Small, yes, but oh so fierce.

Ginny did so well that there was initially some talk of her coming home yesterday - one day after her surgery! - but they kept her on her IV pain medication for the better part of the day, so she stayed an extra night.  But the call I received at 7 am this morning was all good news!

We arranged to pick her up at 2 pm and my mom came with me to sit with her while I drove.  When they brought her into the room, she went crazy with excited little cries and a madly wagging tail.  I pretty much knew then that things were going to be ok.

I have to say how phenomenal the doctors and staff are at Bush Veterinary Neurological Service in Leesburg.  The attention and care Ginny received was astounding.  They really treated her like royalty and I cannot recommend them highly enough.

All of this has put our minds at ease, because we have been wrestling with a decision ever since Ginny's back pain began.  We had booked a Disney Cruise for spring break and were past the point of being able to get any type of refund if we cancelled.  From this past Saturday until this afternoon, we were unsure of whether we would go or not, and on Tuesday, when surgery became a reality, we were convinced we shouldn't go.  We wanted to be able to bring Ginny home ourselves, which may seem silly to some people, but was very important to us.

We talked it over with the neurologist and he assured us that the care Ginny would require whether she had the surgery that day or in two weeks (which is what we were initially thinking) would essentially be the same:  meds, rest, and no physical activity.  After explaining that my mom would be taking care of our girls, he told us we should go ahead and take our trip.  Despite this, we were still unsure and decided to wait and see how Ginny did with the surgery.  The cruise leaves from Miami tomorrow afternoon, meaning we would have to leave tonight after I got home from class in order to drive down to Florida overnight.

So as I type this, I am in the passenger seat with my favorite travel partner at the wheel and we are headed off on our next Disney adventure.

Why have we decided to go despite our many reservations?  Because my mom is the most incredible mom on the planet.  She has been insisting all week that we go.  She takes care of our dogs all the time and she is a brilliant nurse, so obviously we weren't worried about the care Ginny was going to receive...we just felt extremely selfish to leave her right after surgery - especially when we weren't sure she'd be home before the weekend.

My awesome brothers and sister-to-be were also adamant we go and will be helping my mom while we are away.  I don't know how to put into words how fortunate I feel to have such a loving and supportive family.  I am grateful beyond measure.

Ginny is now settled at home on a pile of soft blankets in her new playpen in the family room with her buddies around her and family to love her and tend to her every need.  What more could anyone ask for?

Here are some photos of our little gal.  She's got 15 staples down her spine, but it's nothing she can't handle!








You can read about the surgery here:


Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment