Monday, February 19, 2018

Another Half-My-Life Milestone!

As I've written about on a few occasions, I'm all about numbers and dates. I was recently thinking about how long I'd lived in the U.S., and realized that it had to be about half my life now. So I figured out exactly when that "half my life" date was, and it was January 4, 2018.  Frankly, I'm a little surprised that I didn't recognize this sooner!



Even though I thought a lot about what it really means to me to be "from" two places in a post a few years ago, the idea that I have now lived in the U.S. longer than I lived in Canada is pretty significant to me. I've been a citizen here for almost 14 years, something I never take for granted. My American passport is one of my most prized possessions. I was in love with the idea of America long before I relocated. And now here I am, having spent more than half my life in this country! Chances are, for the rest of my life, the percentage of time lived in the U.S. will continue to grow, while the percentage of time lived in Canada will continue to shrink. That is both a happy and a sad thought.



One thing I've learned is that many of the stereotypes about people from both countries are absurd. Canadians don't live in igloos.  They don't say "eh" at the end of every sentence. They don't keep beavers as pets. I mean, maybe some Canadians do some of these things, but most don't! Likewise, not all Americans eat hot dogs, watch football, drive pickup trucks, or say "y'all." Again, some do, but not all! There are awesome, kind, smart people in both countries.

While these two places have their fair share of challenges, I love being able to say I am from both countries. Even if that makes me a weirdo! It's pretty great to be able to adore the beauty and brilliance of America's National Park System while still cheering for Team Canada in any international hockey events!

My favorite place in America...
Crater Lake National Park
 
I love everything about this photo!



Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment