Thursday, April 6, 2023

Spring Break 2023: Bern

We arrived in Bern on Tuesday in the afternoon and after we got settled at the hotel, we walked around and explored the city. It didn't take long for me to recognize that I liked it so much better than Geneva! We stayed at the Best Western Hotel Bern, which was less than a ten-minute walk to the train station and therefore centrally located.

As much as I liked Bern, and I certainly did, the main attraction of this leg of the trip was our day trip to Jungfraujoch, the highest railway station in Europe with incredible views of the Alps. I often find myself at a loss for words when I'm trying to describe just how overwhelmed I am by the beauty or majesty of a place I've fallen in love with and this is one of those times. I use words like magic and awesome and amazing all of the time, but in all of my dreams about what Switzerland would be, even my imagination couldn't conceive what we experienced. If you know me, and my love of winter, it will be no surprise that this was pretty much my idea of paradise.

In order to get there, transportation was pretty involved:
  • walked to train station
  • took 8:05 am train from Bern to Interlaken
  • changed trains in Interlaken
  • took 10:05 am train from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen
  • changed trains in Lauterbrunnen
  • took 10:30 am train to Kleine Scheidegg
  • changed trains in Kleine Scheidegg
  • took 11:27 am train to Jungfraujoch
  • arrived at 12:12 pm
and then to return to Bern:
  • took the 2:17 pm train from Jungfraujoch to Eigergletscher
  • changed to the gondola the Eiger Express which took us down to Grindelwald
  • took 3:22 pm train from Grindelwald to Interlaken
  • changed trains in Interlaken
  • took 4:30 pm train from Interlaken to Bern
  • arrived at 5:30 pm
Switzerland is like something out of a storybook. Many of these pics were taken through the not-so-clean train windows and as you'll see, even dust and grime can't conceal Switzerland's beauty! Being able to see these incredible mountains from such a unique perspective was beyond worth the cold temperatures and strong winds! This will certainly go down as one of my favorite days ever. 

We've just gotten on the train which will take us from Bern to our next stop, Lucerne!













































































happiness








Happy Tails to you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment