Sunday, October 12, 2014

And Then There Were FOUR!

Most of the FB pages I follow are related to dog rescue – Hendrick & Co., Hope for Paws, WagAware – and animal causes in general – ASPCA, PETA, HSUS – to name a few, but my favorite is Dachshund Rescue of North America.  This is the organization that is nearest and dearest to my heart.  As a result of following all these pages, I see a ton of animal stories day after day in my newsfeed and cry when I read the horrendous stories of abuse, neglect, and abandonment.  I am so thankful there are people working tirelessly against animal cruelty and also for organizations who take in unwanted pets, heal and foster them, and find them loving homes.

And I wish I could save them all.

We have adopted five Dachshunds through DRNA and doing so has proven to be the most rewarding and fulfilling thing we’ve ever done.  Our first foray into rescue was in 2009 and our dogs have brought immense joy, craziness, barking, and love into our lives!



However, when we lost our sweet Molly in 2010, I was so heartbroken that I swore I would never get another dog because I didn’t think I would ever get over it.  And of course, I never have gotten over it…that loss will always and forever be with me.  But the sadness slowly ebbed and was replaced by happy memories that we reminisce about all the time.

After months of seeing dogs every day in my newsfeed, Duchess appeared one day and I somehow knew she was meant to be ours.  We adopted her in August 2011.

Fast forward to November 2013, and we lost Gunni.  This almost killed me.  I was so attached to her that I really thought I would never recover.  As with Molly (who was Gunni’s mom), I swore to myself:  no more dogs.  Losing them just hurt too much.

Five months later, we lost Duchess.  Two dogs in five months.  People toss around the word “devastated” in a way to explain an exaggerated sense of disappointment.  When I say I was devastated, I mean that my heart felt as though it had been shattered into a million pieces.  And again, the promise:  no more dogs.

Life continued with our three little gals, who never fail to amuse us with their antics.  I continued to cry daily about all of the dogs who need homes.  I continued to donate to my favorite animal organizations, because even though I felt I could not help out in terms of taking in a homeless dog, I could give money in support of medical care and fostering.  And I told myself, I’ll never get another dog.

Until I came across this a few months ago:

A Dog’s Last Will & Testament

Before humans die,
they write their last will and testament,
giving their home and all they have
to those they leave behind.

If, with my paws, I could do the same,
this is what I’d ask…

To a poor and lonely stray,
I’d give my happy home;
my bowl and cozy bed, soft pillow and all my toys;
the lap, which I loved so much;
the hand that stroked my fur;
and the sweet voice that spoke my name.

I’d will to the sad, scared shelter dog
the place I had in my human’s loving heart,
of which there seemed no bounds.

So, when I die, please do not say,
“I will never have a pet again,
for the loss and the pain is more than I can stand.”

Instead, go find an unloved dog,
one whose life has held no joy or hope,
and give my place to her.
This is the only thing I can give…
The love I left behind.

- Author Unknown


My attitude quickly changed as I realized that I was actually being incredibly selfish.  I had decided to never get another dog because it hurt too much?  Pathetic.



Thousands upon thousands of dogs are euthanized at shelters in this country every year just because they exist.  Because people are too idiotic and irresponsible to spay and neuter their dogs.  Because people have children or move or come up with some other lame excuse for dumping their dog at a shelter with no regard for their fate.  Because breeding dogs is big business.  Because people think shelter dogs must have something wrong with them – when the truth is that the only thing “wrong” with them is the despicable humans who tortured, neglected, and abandoned them.



I realized that I am in a position to help.  Even though I can’t save every dog, I can save one dog.



Last week, a dog popped up in my newsfeed.  Sadie, 12.  And somehow, I just knew.



On Thursday, I emailed the DRNA contact person to ask if we would even be considered as adopters because Sadie was in South Carolina and we were two states away.  A string of emails with DRNA and Sadie’s foster dad followed, and on Friday, we were approved and made arrangements to pick her up.  Her foster dad agreed to drive three and a half hours, as did we, to meet in the middle so we could make her ours.  This all transpired very quickly and we are extremely grateful for everyone who played a role in making this happen – the foster families of both Molly & Gunni and Duchess were contacted to vouch for us; Sadie’s foster dad was willing to drive so far with her to make sure she went to a loving home; Jane, the DRNA rep chatted with me on the phone and took care of the paperwork so swiftly – what a phenomenal organization!

With Sadie being 12, we don’t know how much time we will have with her, but we do know it will be fabulous.  We got Molly at age 14 and only had her a little more than a year.  We got Gunni at 12 and had her for four years.  And we got Duchess at age 15 and had her for almost three years.  So you never know.  The reality is that you never, ever know how much time you will have with a dog, regardless of their age at the time they are adopted.  So we are going to enjoy every minute.

I’ve said it before, but senior dogs are amazing and rescue dogs are amazing.  So a senior rescue dog?  So fantastic.  They appreciate every moment with you – so happy to have a warm blanket to snuggle in, a lap to sleep on, and a home to call their own where they will never have to be afraid or alone again.

As I type this in the car, we are about 15 minutes from meeting our new girl.  We cannot wait.

A little while later...



AND NOW SHE’S OURS!!!!!!




I sat in the backseat with her for the ride home and I don't want to jinx us, but she is the most calm and relaxed Dachshund we've ever seen.  She snoozed beside me snuggled in a blanket and did not make a peep.  She has a tail that wags happily and it is clear that she was loved deeply at her foster home.

When we arrived home, we weren't sure how to introduce her to the other girls...we didn't want all three of them excitedly running at her and scaring or overwhelming her.  So I held Sadie while C lifted up Ginny, Maddy, and Chelsea one at a time so they could sniff each other.  It wasn't long before Maddy was kissing her in the face and Ginny was following her everywhere she went.

Chelsea seems pretty indifferent at this point.  We figure she's just thinking, "Great. Another one."  :-)

Here's Sadie!!!

This was waiting for us when we got home:



Have I ever happened to mention how AWESOME my mom is?  <3

Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment