Friday, January 29, 2016

Blizzard 2016

So I'm sure you're well aware of the blizzard that affected much of the east coast this past weekend… Snowmageddon, Snowzilla, and whatever other ridiculous names news/weather people came up with.  Let me say that even for me, it was a LOT of snow - especially since it all fell in about a 30-hour time period.  C and I shoveled our driveway six times – twice on Friday and four times on Saturday, which worked out well because even though it was tiring, each time was reasonably manageable.  Had we waited until the snow had stopped, we would have been completely overwhelmed and it would have been beyond exhausting.

Our road is private, so the county does not plow it for us, and given the volume of snow, we were not sure how long it would be before we would be able to get out.  Luckily, one of our neighbors found someone on Craigslist who was willing to come and plow our road and hill for us on Sunday morning, so all we had to do was dig out the end of our driveway and we were free!  I am very much a fan of winter and I love snow, but my goodness that was a lot of snow!

Overall I have no complaints because it resulted in seven snow days, and the snow really looked SO beautiful with the sun shining on it.  But one crazy thing did happen…

On Saturday night, I went to set our house alarm before going to bed and I got a message that there was an issue with the basement door.  C and I went down to investigate (with every possible horror-movie scenario running through my mind), and the French doors we have in the basement were wide open and there was a large pile of snow in our basement.  Yep.  Snow in the house.

Between the wind and the weight of the heavy, wet snow against the doors, they had been forced open.  As in the deadbolt on the right door was still fully extended!  The blustery wind and three feet of snow was just too much stress on the doors that they popped right out of place and blew wide open.


I wish I had a photo, but our focus was on getting the snow out of the house and figuring out how to get the doors closed, since they were askew in the door jamb.  We basically had to force the doors shut after shoveling some of the outside snow away from the house and getting all of the snow inside the house scooped up.  Thankfully, C was able to fix the doors the next morning and everything is fine now, but what a crazy ordeal!

And it's worth noting that our dogs don't particularly care for snow!  


Maddy's paw print in the driveway

snoozing away while the storm raged outside

Ginny

Sadie

Ginny & Maddy

Ginny

Maddy

Ginny not impressed with the snow

Ginny even less impressed with the snow





our deck buried in snow


Maddy running as quickly as possibly to get back in the house


our mailbox



Maddy stealing my mittens


Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment