Sunday, January 15, 2017

2016: A Look Back

2016.  An interesting year to say the least!

The year started off with a trip to Europe.  We flew from JFK to Oslo, Norway; from Oslo to Paris, France; from Paris to Stockholm, Sweden; and from Stockholm back to JFK.  The entire trip was fabulous, and I completely fell in love with Oslo, something I was not expecting, but my favorite part of the trip was Disneyland Paris.  We had visited one before, in 2007, but just for the day.  This time, we spent three nights at the Disneyland Hotel and were able to really explore the parks.  It was hard to not make comparisons to the American parks, but overall, it was amazing!

While we were in Europe, Sadie had surgery to remove a very large tumor from her stomach.  It was not ideal for that to take place while we were away, and we worried constantly, but once the tumor was discovered, it was in her best interest to remove it as quickly as possible.  Thankfully, our vet is incredible, and Sadie had the good fortune to be loved back to health by the world's best Fairy Dogmother.  It is now a year later, and at 14+ years of age, she is doing very well!

At the end of January, I traveled to California for a conference with a friend and we had a great time together, despite less-than-perfect weather at Disneyland!

I returned to full-time teaching on February 1 after three months of part-time teaching.  I will never be able to express how my three teammates were (and are) everything to me.  They are remarkable teachers and unbelievable human beings.  It was a crazy busy time for me because in addition to fifth grade, I taught a graduate Literacy course during the spring semester January-May and a graduate Math Methods course during the first summer session April-June, and there were some days when I didn't know which direction was up, and they kept me afloat in every way possible.  And sane.  They kept me sane.  I love them so, so, so, so, so much.

We went to a game at our 33rd NHL arena!  The Pittsburgh Penguins got a new arena back in 2010, so even though we saw a game in Pittsburgh when we visited all 30 NHL arenas, this one was new to us!

For spring break, we took our second Disney Cruise, this time on the Disney Magic.  Loved every second of it!  We visited Castaway Cay for the first time, which was beautiful, and ate at Palo, which was delicious.  I really cannot say enough good things about Disney Cruise Line.  We've got another cruise planned for this upcoming summer and I cannot wait!  After the cruise, we went to WDW for a few days and had a great time, even though there were a number of heavy downpours during our stay.  In the first three months of 2016, I visited Le Château de la Belle au Bois Dormant at Disneyland Paris, Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland, and Cinderella Castle at WDW.  Not too shabby!

In May, we went to WDW for C's birthday and it was about as perfect a trip as possible.  We had a completely awesome time and attended the After Hours event where we felt we had the entire park to ourselves!

In July, we went to a Mets game at Citi Field, which was our 35th MLB ballpark, and then in August, we a Phillies game at Citizens Bank Park, which was our 36th MLB ballpark!  Both were very nice stadiums and the games were fun to watch!

We took a trip out the west coast at the end of July and it was wonderful!  We went to Seattle, Portland, and Crater Lake National Park; we drove along the Oregon Coast, which was breathtaking; and we even drove into California to go to Fentons – two locations on the same day!  We have so many happy memories from this trip!

We were fortunate to visit WDW for four weekends in the fall over a span of four months!  In September, we stayed at Contemporary; in October, we stayed at Caribbean Beach; in November, we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside; and in December, we stayed at Coronado Springs.  These quick weekend trips are so fun!

Over the summer, I did my second annual #100daysofdoxies/#100daysofhappy photo series – it's a fun way to capture both the mundane and hilarious moments in our day-to-day life.

Speaking of our dogs, perhaps the best thing about 2016 was that we did not have to say goodbye to any of our gals.  This might seem like a morbid thought, but in 2013, we lost Gunni, in 2014, we lost Duchess, and in 2015, we lost Chelsea.  So there was no heartbreak in 2016 and for that we are extremely grateful.

I also realized in August that I've been married for half my life!  That was an eye-opening realization because I still cannot believe we've been married as long as we have.  Time really does fly when you're having fun!

Finally, on December 31, we celebrated 22 years of marriage! Not just any marriage, but really, a ridiculously happy marriage.  I count my lucky stars every single day!



Here's to a great 2017…we've got some exciting trips planned and unknown adventures await!


Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment