Sunday, October 28, 2018

Ocean City October 2018

The title of the post might lead you to believe that we took a fun trip to Ocean City, and that is partially true! But it wasn't for the weekend…it was for about 20 minutes. No joke. We drove 3+ hours each way to visit the beach for 20 minutes.

There IS a method to our madness. One, we love any reason for a long car trip, and two, Ginny loves to go in the car.

But really, we wanted to take Ginny to see the ocean.

We've had seven Dachshunds, including Ginny, and we've been saying for years and years that we should take our dogs to the beach. Every year we told ourselves we would go in the fall, because after September 30, dogs are allowed on the boardwalk and on the beach.

But when each school year began, I was overworked and overwhelmed and exhausted and I never prioritized taking our dogs to the ocean – something I regret terribly.

When Maddy passed away in August, and Ginny became an only dog, I realized all of things I had wanted to do with her but had not made the time for. I realized that I almost always put school work before everything else and frankly, I've been pretty disgusted with myself. The reality is, no matter how talented and awesome you are, you are completely replaceable at your job. On the other hand, you are irreplaceable to your family. I've done a lot of soul searching about this over the past several months. Even as we were driving today, I was silently questioning why I had never made the time to bring the dogs to the beach over all of these years. The only answer I could come up with was that I foolishly thought there would be time at some point in the future to do the things I wanted to do.

So while driving about 7 hours for a 20-minute visit might not make sense to anyone else, we loved it and we had the best day. With our one little dog who finally got to see the ocean.

as you might infer from this photo,
Ginny was not particularly thrilled...
but to be fair, she doesn't like windy weather ever :)

Here are some other photos from the day!

perfect day for a drive

Ocean City, Maryland

it was really a beautiful day

not sure what to make of this place

this pic cracks me up because she was
clinging to C's leg and I thought
her shadow was hilarious

feeling better while being held

my favorite picture of the day and
possibly my favorite picture of
C and Ginny of all time <3

I love her so much!

best friends <3

making it official and
putting her feet in the Atlantic

she was very excited to leave :)

we took this bottle with us to represent
our six gals who have crossed the Rainbow Bridge
and never got to see the ocean...
it was a gift from one of my best friends and I love it

We found an ice cream place that sold Dole Whip...

so we had to try it...

it was super yum!

it would not be a typical driving trip blog post
if I failed to include a pic of a bridge
#obsessedwithbridges


I'm sure we'll be taking Ginny on more adventures! While we've been joking around about taking her on a plane, I don't know how she'd actually handle that because she is a Nervous Nellie at the best of times, but there are definitely more car trips in her future!

so many new smells!


Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment