Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Behind Every Great Teacher...

Today is National Teacher Appreciation Day and I wanted to celebrate the unsung heroes of teachers: our families. Yes, teachers are beyond incredible and they do an unimaginably difficult job. But they don't do it alone.

When I think back over my many years of teaching, there are so many times when my family's contributions to my craft and classroom were responsible for any successes I enjoyed!

Yes, I had a fun celebration with my students on my 30th birthday - because my mom and C's mom spent forever baking ice cream cone cupcakes for all of my kids.

Yes, I always had the best supplies - a long-reach stapler, an electric three hole punch, a heavy duty pencil sharpener - because my dad and C's dad got me what I needed anytime I asked.

Yes, I had math games and extension activities available to my students every year - because B2 spent hours typing up documents and directions for me.

Yes, I had amazing books in multiple languages in my library because B1 brought them back for me when he served overseas in the army.

Yes, I always had gift cards for Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Michael's, IKEA, and Staples to purchase things - because my family understood that making my classroom a happy and engaging space was all I ever wanted for any birthday, Christmas, or other occasion.

And there are not enough words to capture how C's efforts have lightened my load at every turn. Year after year, packing and unpacking my classroom, moving stuff to and from school, building me desks and tables and shelves, cutting out lamination for hours on end, making countless photocopies, labeling stacks and stacks of books, proofreading all of the materials, quizzes, and tests I created, and asking me every day, without fail - and I do mean literally EVERY DAY - "Do you need me to do anything for you today?"

C spent his entire Thanksgiving break
building a ton of Lego structures
for the robotics club I coached a few years ago


He cheers me on when things go well, comforts me when things don't, and tolerates my ranting about whatever frustrations I encountered that day. Even though he lives in a very different professional world, he gets it. He asks about my kids when I share their successes and challenges, often when I've only casually mentioned them, which means he really, really listens. He encourages me when a situation has left me feeling defeated, unappreciated, and undervalued. He stands by, smiling, when I run into students while we are out shopping or dining and the ensuing chat goes on much longer than he'd probably like.

He makes me coffee in the morning and in the evening, not only because he knows I love it, but because he knows the mug he brings it in will make me smile. He gives me pep talks when I need to be inspired and when I need to calm down and he listens to my endless stories about school. Endless.



C and my family when I talk about school:


Me:




Behind this great teacher is a husband and a family whose selflessness and love keep her going!

So on this National Teacher Appreciation Day, here's to all of the people behind the scenes whose help and support keep teachers going!

Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment