Monday, June 27, 2022

Celebrating & Hydrating

Every June 27, we celebrate our engagement because on this day in 1993, we were sitting at home, talking about the future, and we decided to get married. Nothing planned or choreographed. We don't have any photos of that day. Just two kids choosing each other forever. Easiest decision ever!

I had plans to celebrate today, but seeing as we now both have COVID, we spent the evening at home, planning some upcoming travel, just the two of us. Not particularly exciting, but still somehow perfect, as it was reminiscent of where we were and what we were doing 29 years ago when we got engaged. We'll celebrate this day any way we can - even if this year it meant toasting with Gatorade instead of champagne. Sick or not, it is an important day on our calendar each year!

I heard this on an audio track on tiktok a few weeks ago and knew I wanted to share it on this day because the message is so beautiful!

I refuse to believe that the words I love you
are like birthday cake.
Three words reserved for special occasions,
 only to be given out topped with
candles and frosting at the perfect moment.

I use the words I love you
casually and recklessly at times.

But I've found that birthday cake is better at midnight
and I love you is better when you don't hesitate,
when you don't wait for an occasion to say it, so here it is.

I love you, and not in the special occasion kind of way.
In the coffee in the morning on a Tuesday kind of way.

I love you in chalk on a sidewalk,
in little post it notes,
and extra smiles when you come home.

I love you in the language of everyday things,
in seeing you at the end of each day,
and listening to every word you say.

I love you in the language of birthday cake
when it's nobody's birthday.

- Whitney Hanson -

I'm including this pic of us even though I've shared it before because neither of us is up for taking a photo in our current state! It's one of the earliest pics I have of us and happens to be one of my favorites!


Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment