Sunday, July 2, 2023

It's Like America, But South! Day 16

We started the day with a crazy uber ride up into the mountains to take a cable car ride! The elevation at the top was 12,950 feet and the views overlooking Quito were spectacular! We spent quite a bit of time up there because no matter which direction we faced, we were in awe of Ecuador's beauty!
























Here are a few videos of the views:





After riding the cable car back down, we took another uber to the historic center of Quito and spent some time wandering around, taking in the sights and sounds. As you can see, it is a pretty cool area!




























Before I sign off, I just have to share a pet peeve. Why do people not only speak, but speak loudly in small enclosed spaces?!? Talk loudly on a phone call?!? Watch videos with the sound on?!? This has happened multiple times on this trip and I think it is so rude and obnoxious! How narcissistic do you have to be to not realize you are in a small shared space with other people?!?

I'd finally had enough today! On our cable car ride back down, we had two guys in the car with us and they were chatting in Spanish. Not a huge deal because it wasn't that long of a ride and I kept telling myself to just block them out. However, one of them got louder and louder and louder (he was seated beside me) and finally I could take it no longer. I turned to him and shushed him pretty aggressively. He seemed startled and sheepish and was fairly quiet the rest of the ride, but why did it take me shushing him for him to realize how loud he was being?!?

This type of rude behavior also happened in Medellin on the cable car ride and many times in elevators. I just cannot fathom being so self-absorbed!

And speaking of elevators, this is not a pet peeve, but rather just an observation...in all five cities we've repeatedly been in elevators where people get on and face the rear of the elevator. Like we are at the back of the elevator facing the door and other people get on a face us! I'm not going to lie - not only did it strike me as completely bizarre, but it made me very uncomfortable to have strangers standing close to me in a small space, facing me. Is this a cultural thing that I'm just not aware of? I don't recall this ever happening anywhere else we've ever traveled to!

Despite the rude guy on the cable car, it was an incredible day!

Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment