Friday, July 14, 2023

Today The Answer Was No

It's been a hard week.

Every time I take my mom to the hospital, I try to keep family informed about what's happening and pay attention to the insane amount of information being shared. My goal is keep my emotions out of it, (although I've certainly been known to make my displeasure known when my mom is not being treated properly); I feel like it's my responsibility to be as calm a presence as possible for my mom.

On the inside, however, all I'm thinking is, "Will this be the time my mom doesn't come home?"

Today, thankfully, the answer to my question was no.

She was discharged at dinner time today after being at the hospital since Monday (almost 26 hours in the ER before being admitted Tuesday evening). and I took her home and got her settled. So grateful for that ride together because one of my biggest fears is the day when I'll be driving home without her.

We have an appointment on Monday morning to officially start hospice care.

Watching someone you love with all your heart slowly deteriorate is torture. I don't care what the reason is...terminal illness, aging, mental decline...it is awful for them and it is awful for their family. What I wouldn't give to take away my mom's pain and suffering. To give her peace and comfort and restful sleep.

Hug your people and don't ever pass up a chance to tell them how much you love them.


Happy Tails to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment