Tuesday, August 22, 2023

My Mom: The Dash

It's been one month since I lost my mom. I came across this poem and felt it was worth sharing:

The Dash
by Linda Ellis

I read of a man who stood to speak
At the funeral of a friend
He referred to the dates on the tombstone
From the beginning...to the end

He noted that first came the date of birth
And spoke the following date with tears,
But he said what mattered most of all
Was the dash between those years

For that dash represents all the time
That they spent alive on earth
And now only those who loved them
Know what that little line is worth

For it matters not, how much we own,
The cars...the house...the cash.
What matters is how we live and love
And how we spend our dash.

So, think about this long and hard.
Are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left
That can still be rearranged.

If we could just slow down enough
To consider what's true and real
And always try to understand
The way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger
And show appreciation more
And love the people in our lives
Like we've never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect
And more often wear a smile,
Remembering this special dash
Might only last a little while

So, when your eulogy is being read
With your life's actions to rehash...
Would you be proud of the things they say
About how you spent YOUR dash?


My mom spent her dash making people feel loved and making a difference in the lives of so many.

She was an incredible mother to B1, B2, and me.
She was a skilled nurse for 43 years, taking care of women during their pregnancies and births.
She visited all seven continents.
She valiantly battled pulmonary fibrosis for almost nine years. She just kept going, no matter how difficult every day tasks became, no matter how the disease eroded her lungs and slowly stripped pieces of her independence away.

She and I did so many awesome things together. She'd always dreamt of being an astronaut, but since that was not something women of her generation were allowed to do, we did the next best things and went to space camp for adults together and had the greatest time!

She is directly responsible for my love of all things Disney and the two of us went to Walt Disney World together many, many times. When I was little, she regularly took me to the drive-in to see Disney movies and she sang me Disney songs starting the day I was born. We went on a Disney Cruise together and made fabulous memories together, and I only wish we'd been able to go on other cruises together. I know that the next time I stand in front of a Disney castle or set foot on a Disney ship, I will feel her absence acutely.

Something we did often was take road trips to Canada to visit family, especially after she got sick and plane travel became too taxing for her...hours in the car, singing and laughing together. I will miss those long drives with her.

One of my favorite memories with her is when we went to see Ringo Starr in 2016. He had always been her favorite Beatle. While I thoroughly enjoyed the concert myself, witnessing her joy gave me a glimpse of her as a fifteen-year old girl and I loved it so much. It's sometimes hard to see our moms beyond our own experiences with them, but that night, I was able to see her in a brand new light.

She loved music and space and animals.
She loved movies and dancing and gerbera daisies.

She especially loved Star Trek. She loved quotes from the various series and movies and during our last week together, I repeatedly whispered one of her all-time favorite lines in her ear over and over:

"You have been, and always shall be, my friend."

I miss you, Mom.

You spent your dash in the most brilliant, wonderful, and admirable fashion.


with Maddy and Ginny

with Ginny

with my nephew, Max

a throwback with Chelsea

she would visit a local farm with her friends
and you can see how she loved the animals

she was amazing




when we went to WDW for her birthday in 2021,
she didn't want a birthday cake - 
just a Mickey bar to celebrate her big day


I had bought us matching custom bracelets...
"Fly Me to the Moon" was our song for my entire life

now I wear both bracelets in her honor

Happy Tails to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment