Monday, April 13, 2015

The Time-Turner

I love my mom.

She is the best mom a girl could have.

Amazing.  Wonderful.  Loving.  Giving.  Thoughtful.  Supportive.  Encouraging.  Funny.  Kind.  Protective.  Inspiring.  Selfless.  Strong.  Smart.  Tough.

She is all of the things I strive to be.

I have had a trying semester at school.  That's all I am going to say about it.  But whenever people ask how they can help me, I always ask them if they have a time-turner - the device from Harry Potter that allows Hermione to deal with her overwhelming class schedule and work load.

If you know my mom, you know what's coming.

She bought me a time-turner.





I burst into tears when I opened it, and I am not a particularly spontaneous cryer.

The card read:
I mark the hours, every one,
Nor have I yet outrun the Sun.
My use and value, unto you,
Are gauged by what you have to do.

This is what is inscribed on Hermione's time-turner, which was given to her my Professor McGonagall.

While it might not possess Harry-Potter-style powers, it is unquestionably a magical object because it represents my mom's love.  She can't make things easier for me - she can't read articles, analyze data, or write papers so that I don't have to - but she does so much to lighten my load in every other way.

As Dumbledore explains to Harry in Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone:

"If there is one thing Voldemort cannot understand, it is love.  He didn't realize that love as powerful as your mother's for you leaves its own mark. Not a scar, no visible sign... to have been loved so deeply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever."

It is an incredible feeling to know that I am protected forever.

Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment