Monday, January 12, 2015

WDW New Year's Celebration Part 7

Monday, January 5

On our last full day, we spent the morning enjoying our resort and writing thank you notes.  That might not sound very exciting, but it was actually a really nice way to relax.  We love Port Orleans French Quarter and roaming the grounds in the sunshine was great.





















 















We had lunch over at Beaches and Cream and received yet another balloon because we were wearing our celebration buttons (not all of the ones pictured below – we rotated them!).







After lunch, we seized the chance to take a daytime photo of our gazebo, and then walked over to DHS to pick up some sketches we had ordered and to gaze longingly at the Sorcerer Mickey Hat one final time.  The Hat had served as the icon for DHS since 2001, and I know there are people who hated the Hat and are thrilled it is being removed, but I loved the Hat.  I never liked the Great Movie Ride theater being at the end of Hollywood Boulevard, and the Earful Tower?  No thanks.  I always thought the Hat was awesome and representative of Walt Disney's imagination and an excellent addition to the park.  Unfortunately, I am not in any position where my opinion on the matter counts for anything, and removal of the Hat was scheduled to begin January 7.  Very depressing.  It is going to look weird when we are there next month!






After calling, "Bye, Hat," with a tear in my eye, we walked over to Boardwalk on our way to Epcot.  I snapped a few photos of my Minnie Ears framing Spaceship Earth and we did a couple of attractions, including Soarin', which we love, but will not do without a fastpass because the wait time is usually ridiculous.  By the time we left The Land pavilion, it was dark, and we spent a good chunk of time at the Imagination pavilion, even though it was technically closed by then.  The fountains are always so beautiful and the jumping water never fails to mesmerize me.













Tuesday, January 6

We left at 6:30 am, drove all day, and arrived home at about 8:00 pm.  We were very fortunate to not hit any traffic because obviously we wanted to get home to see the dogs, but – and I haven't mentioned this yet – we were both sick and looking forward to the comforts of home.  C had caught some kind of cold the previous Monday, and although I tried valiantly to stay well, apparently my immune system is not what it once was, now that I am not teaching full time!  Lucky for me, classes don't start until after the MLK holiday, so I've got some time to recuperate before the craziness of the semester begins.

As always, many, many thanks to my mom…because she returned home from WDW on New Year's Eve, the dogs only spent three nights at the kennel before being spoiled rotten.

One final note:  if any of you are wondering if the balloons they sell on Main Street, USA are worth their hefty price tag ($12 each!), I can happily report that they are worth every penny.  I took this photo on Day 16 of having these balloons.  The clear/outer balloons are starting to deflate a little (they look somewhat puckered), but the colored/inner balloons are going strong and still floating beautifully!




Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment