Tuesday, January 13, 2015

2014: A Look Back

I know this is two weeks overdue, but 2014 was a very good year and I think it is important to look back and note all the positive (and a few not-so-positive) things that have happened over the past 12 months.

I love this photo of J & R
Family
We had a peak and a valley in this area of our lives in 2014.  The absolute highlight of the year was that I gained a fabulous sister when my brother got married at the end of May!  The wedding was beautiful and I love this girl so much!  As for the devastating news, my mom was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis, which is a terrible disease.  As always, she is an inspiration to me in how she is facing it head on and fighting, but I am not going to sugarcoat it:  it sucks.  There are days when even I run out of positivity because of this stupid disease.  But we are all hanging in there and treasuring each moment, because the reality is, no one ever knows when their last day will be, whether you have a disease or not.

Dogs
We began the year with four dogs and ended the year with four dogs – but not the same four dogs.  Which means there was both great sadness and overwhelming joy in our lives this year.  We lost our darling Duchess on April 23 and adopted our sweet Sadie on October 12.  We were able to honor the memory of the dogs we have lost in a wonderful ceremony and Sadie has turned out to be the most calm Dachshund we have ever met.  Ginny also had to have back surgery in March and we were worried that the outcome would be paralysis, but the neurologists were miracle workers and she healed perfectly!  We hope we will not have to go through something like that again because it was terrifying and I am sure I aged ten years in those eight weeks from worrying!

Travel
We had a busy year of travel!  We started the year off in Detroit for the Winter Classic between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Detroit Red Wings, which is a trip will will remember forever!  We went to Kaua'i for a week in January, took our first Disney Cruise in March, and spent two weeks in Ireland in August.  I went to WDW with my mom in June, and then C and I went in September, early December, and late December.  And of course, the year ended in a spectacular fashion when we renewed our vows.  Such priceless memories!  If only real life didn't have to get in the way of traveling!

School
I completed two more semesters of classes, co-taught two classes, and took a class over the summer.  I also completed two of my three portfolio reviews.  Looking ahead to 2015, I hope to finish classes, complete my third portfolio, and finish my proposal, so that when I am writing this at this time next year, I'll be able to say I've started working on my dissertation.  I also got to do some interesting work throughout the year with different professors and presented at a local, state, and national conference.  My favorite work is when I get to interview or observe students, because being around kids is what I miss most about teaching!


Here's to a great 2015!

Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment