Monday, March 26, 2018

Spring Break 2018: Day 3


Today was such a fun day! We decided we were going to get up for breakfast no matter how tired we were, and stay up all day with no napping to try and adjust to the time change. Easier said than done, when I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't fall back asleep until 6:00 this morning! But we got up at 9:00 and managed to stay awake the entire day, so hopefully the rest of the week will go smoothly! One amusing thing did occur at breakfast – a man sitting at the next table was trying to ask the server for honey, but he did not know how to phrase his request in Italian, so he started flapping his arms and making buzzing sounds! It looked crazy, but it worked, because she pointed out the honey that was already sitting on the table.

We visited the Colosseum, the Pantheon, the Spanish Steps, and many other interesting spots, including churches, fountains, monuments, and the like. We also went back to the Trevi Fountain at night to see it lit up! Overall, it was a great day of sightseeing! While we were at the Colosseum, a guy noticed C's hat and called out, "They're the best team in the NHL!" and we got to chatting with him and it turns out that he's American, but lived in Toronto during his college years, and now lives in Italy! It never ceases to amaze us how we run in to Maple Leafs fans all over the place – Tokyo, Paris, Prague, Edinburgh, and now Rome!





















Lunch

Afternoon Snack

Look at the size of this beer!
I did not realize until AFTER I ordered it
that it was one liter! I just ordered a "large" beer without looking
at the details on the menu. Which is exactly what I had ordered
earlier in the day at lunch, and I received a very
reasonable and manageable volume of beer (photo above!).
Not so at this place! Lesson learned - read the fine print!

Dinner

Nighttime Snack

Yes, we found the Disney Store!


The Ugly Dachshund

Zootopia

Moana

The Harry Potter books in Italian!
I wish there weren't weight restrictions on luggage,
because I really wanted to buy these!

Clearly we are a Dachshund family, and while we do keep an eye out for cute Dachshund things, sometimes they just appear right in front of us!

Ginny LOVES cheese. Loves it!
This random cartoon on a tin we saw
made me smlie because it's the exact face
Ginny makes when she gets cheese - so pleased with herself!

Dachshund on an ad in the metro station

Dachshund in a Curious George episode we spotted
as we were scrolling through the TV channels

And speaking of Dachshunds, I FaceTimed with my mom today, and as always, she held the phone up for Maddy and Ginny so I could talk to them. Maddy isn't typically interested, but Ginny is usually very engaged and alert. I was surprised that Maddy was listening to my voice today and looking at the screen! Ginny, as always, was staring at the phone and wiggling around as I spoke (awesome to see, but difficult to get a screen grab of, especially given the already less than crystal clear picture). Here are a few of the ones I managed to get:

Maddy looking and listening!

Maybe it's a yawn, but I choose to believe she was
laughing hysterically at something I said!

Not believing me when I told her, "We'll be home soon!"

How I love this dog!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment