Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Asian Adventure 2020: Day 4

We had somewhat of a busy travel day because we left Bangkok and flew to Phuket!  We checked out of our hotel this morning at 10:30 am and took a taxi to the airport, which was about a 30-minute ride, then checked in for our flight and grabbed a bite to eat before heading to our gate.


last view of Bangkok from our hotel room









anytime I see anything that reads
"A1A" I have to take a pic
because it makes me
think of the song
"Ice, Ice Baby"
LOL


We flew on Thai Airlines for the first time, and the flight was only about an hour and a half or so. For the most part, it was very uneventful until the end, when we were about to land. We were seriously SO close to the ground, when suddenly the plane accelerated and we rose back into the sky. There was no announcement or explanation of any kind, and it was clear that the passengers around us were as concerned as we were! Basically, we flew in a huge circle for fifteen minutes (according to the time stamps on my photos), approached the runway the same way a second time, and then the pilot was able to successfully land the plane. I don't know if that runway was not particularly long and our plane was large, or the pilot just overshot it or mistimed the landing, but I have never had that happened before and I'll be happy if it never happens again, because it kind of freaked me out! It was mostly the not-knowing-what-was-happening that I didn't care for, and frankly, I think they owed the passengers an explanation! I guess all's well that ends well, and that's what really matters, but that 15 minutes felt like an eternity!


look at these unsuspecting faces




FIRST landing attempt

back in the air!

circling

still circling

SECOND LANDING ATTEMPT
fifteen minutes after the first attempt


After we arrived in Phuket, we took a taxi to our hotel, and it was about a 45-minute ride, but the length of time wasn't the issue. It was the craziest taxi we've ever been in, filled with Christmas decor, Valentine's Day decor, stuffed animals, fake flowers, and curtains on the windows. Our driver was a very nice lady, but the traffic was terrible so she was weaving in and out of lanes and it seems like scooters just make up their own rules on the roads here, so it was a harrowing experience made worse by the fact that C's seatbelt did not work and he was holding on for dear life, while the temperature in the car felt like 120 degrees and the driver ate chunks of watermelon from a plastic grocery bag as she drove. I cannot make this stuff up!






As you might imagine, we were thrilled to finally arrive at our hotel and head up to our room. When we stepped off the elevator, we saw a boxing ring. At that point, I felt it had been such a bizarre day that I took a picture of it and continued down the hall because I'd already asked myself, "What is happening?!?" a million times throughout the day and it had gotten me nowhere.






what on earth



enjoy?






Thankfully, we went out to find some dinner and had a very nice meal in a calm, quiet restaurant, which is just what we needed after the lunacy of the day. We are headed to bed early because we have a 4:00 am wake up alarm for a fun day tomorrow!




Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment