Thursday, February 6, 2020

Asian Adventure 2020: Day 6

Yesterday was an amazing day because we spent it soaking in some of the most beautiful scenery imaginable and I was pretty sure that would end up being the highlight of this trip. Well, let me just say that today was also completely magical and my heart is beyond full after visiting Phuket Elephant Sanctuary.

The sanctuary opened in 2016 and was founded by a man who had worked in the tourism industry and witnessed first hand how elephants were being tortured and abused for profit. He realized that these poor animals were gentle and intelligent and that what was happening to them in the tourism industry was despicable. He has now made it his life's work to rescue elephants from abhorrent situations and provide them with a home where they will never have to hurt or be afraid again, where they can be free and receive all of the love and care they deserve. This is not easy work because people don't want to sell their male elephants to the sanctuary because they are profitable for them because they can breed for life. But once the female elephants have aged beyond their fertile years, or if they are injured, there is a better chance of rescuing them because their owners don't see much use for them any longer. All of the elephants at the sanctuary are female and range in age from 35 to 70 and they show physical signs of abuse from their former lives. It goes without saying that there is trauma from mental and emotional abuse they endured as well.

I cried and cried during the informational presentation at the sanctuary when we learned the back story of some of the elephants and I was reminded again what monsters humans can be.

Thailand is a popular tourist destination and people pay to ride on elephants or attended circus shows featuring elephants or buy art created by elephants. WELL ALL OF THAT HAPPENS BECAUSE ELEPHANTS ARE TORTURED INTO PERFORMING. It makes me so so so so so angry. Animals are not meant to exist for the entertainment of humans! It disgusts me that these types of things go on in 2020. The suffering these gentle and majestic creatures endure is unbelievable. I am getting very upset just writing this post because the greed of humans at the expense of other living beings is something that I will never understand. Obviously I am very passionate about animals and I am a staunch believer in animal rescue, so visiting this place was such a wonderful experience to see the rehabilitation going on and to watch these elephants roam freely and happily in a place where they are loved and revered.

Phuket Elephant Sanctuary is 30 acres in size and has the capacity to house 25 elephants. Currently there are 10 elephants living there, and we were able to observe them all! The sanctuary is in the process of building an elevated walkway throughout the property so that visitors will be able to observe the elephants as they roam about; we were able to walk through the grounds with our guides and we were very close to the elephants, which was amazing! Each one has a handler of sorts, who really acts as their best friend and caregiver and witnessing these loving relationships between elephant and human was nothing short of incredible.

One of my favorite facts our guides shared with us is that when they rescue an elephant and she comes to live at the sanctuary, she is given a new name. "New name for a new life." This really resonated with me on a number of levels, not only as a mom of rescue dogs, but as someone who was adopted by my dad and subsequently given a new name and new life. Such a powerful statement.












There were several dogs on the property and two of them kind of followed along on our tour, so of course I had to pet them incessantly and take their photo!




one of the dogs observing an elephant with us :)


The elephants themselves were beautiful and I don't have any words for what being so close to them felt like. I just loved every single second.







































One of the last things we had the privilege of doing was feeding the elephants fruit (in case you didn't already know, they are vegetarians, which is just one more reason I love them!). What a cool experience. I asked C to take close up pics of my hand and the elephant's trunk when it was my turn and I will treasure these pictures forever!!!









The sanctuary provided boots to walk through the mud, umbrellas to protect us from the blazing sun, and a wonderful meal to end our tour. They only serve vegetarian food and it was amazing! Honestly, the entire day was one of the coolest experiences ever!





I know I always say that C is the best travel planner and that he always finds amazing things for us to do, but it is SO true. I am speechless that his research led us to this magical place and I am the luckiest person on earth!!!

Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment