Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Missing Riley

One year ago today, we said goodbye to our Riley. The pain we experienced was eased only by the fact that C, Ginny, and I were all home together due to the pandemic so we could grieve together. Everything about losing her was so unfair…she was such a wonderful little dog and we were forced to part ways so soon after finding each other.

I'm under no delusion that having dogs is the same as having kids. But for us, our dogs ARE our kids. Period. They are everything to us. And each time we've lost one, it's been completely and utterly devastating and I've wondered if I would ever feel whole again. With Maddy in particular, given the traumatic nature of her death, the black cloud took a long time to dissipate and the depths of my sorrow threatened to swallow me up on a daily basis for well over a year.

I honestly didn't think I'd ever be able to adopt another dog after Maddy. And then I saw Riley's sweet little face and I knew we could give her an amazing life. Her kind disposition brought such light into our lives and the inexplicable loyalty she displayed was incredible. All this time later, knowing we'd only have 144 days together, I would one million percent adopt her again in a heartbeat. The memories we created with her will forever live in my heart.

Grief is both a universal human experience and a uniquely personal journey…one minute I'm fine, and the next minute, a song or picture or comment will leave me sobbing. I never know exactly what will trigger the tears, but I always welcome them. They are a physical manifestation of the fact that I loved – and continue to love – my girls deeply and that their absence will always be part of who I am as a person.

love this










A few of my favorite pics with Riley:










'til the end of the line


Happy Tails to you…

No comments:

Post a Comment