Saturday, March 13, 2021

Well, it's March 13th again!

Exactly one year ago today, on March 13, 2020, I left school loaded down with my work laptop that I never take home, a full set of reading assessment materials, and just about anything I thought I might need for a few weeks. We'd been told school would be closed from March 14 until April 13. It was a weird feeling to leave school on a Friday in March with no plans to return for a month and I certainly had no idea that I wouldn't actually set foot back in the building until June – and that would only be to pack up for the summer. Now it's March again and it still feels like we're living in the Upside Down!

This was the second time I'd experienced a major event that disrupted the school year. Back in February 2010, an enormous snowfall caused significant structural damage to the intermediate school where I was teaching and we weren't allowed to return to that building for the remainder of that year, either. We were given a week to prepare as we were housed elsewhere for the remainder of the school year – fifth grade at one site and sixth grade at another. It was absolutely bare bones and I honestly loved it. Don't get me wrong – it was challenging and exhausting every single day. But the circumstances required us to forgo all the usual nonsense – no unnecessary meetings, no before or after school events due to transportation constraints, no time wasting. It was focused, meaningful instruction. The epitome of "cut the fluff and teach the stuff." If you know me, I'm sure you can understand why I loved it! Even though the physical location was different, we were with our students, which is all that really mattered, and we had a comforting routine to our days. Dealing with such an unusual situation made for a very tight-knit class and eleven years later, I still love those kids who went through the craziness by my side!

This has not been the case during this pandemic. It has often felt like directions and plans were changing every hour on the hour. We'd be told one thing in the morning only to be told something completely different later that same day. It has been a constant state of uncertainty for all – staff, students, and families.

At the best of times, teaching is not for the faint of heart. What I've seen my colleagues accomplish over the past 365 days is nothing short of miraculous. A year ago, I was so encouraged because there was such public support for teachers. It seemed like people finally appreciated how teachers give everything they have to their students.

Foolish of me to believe that sentiment would last. For the past six months, teachers have been subject to such hateful and ignorant accusations and comments that it makes me physically ill. But despite being vilified in the court of public opinion, teachers have been showing up for their students day in and day out this entire school year, working harder than ever before. I witness magic with my own eyes on a daily basis and I am so proud to know the amazing teachers I get to call my colleagues and friends!

Who knows what next school year will look like, but frankly, in my opinion, it doesn't really matter. This past year, dealing with a global pandemic that disrupted two school years, has proven that teachers are clever, resilient, and devoted to their students and their craft regardless of any obstacles they face. What does concern me is the lasting effect this will have on teachers because all of this dedication comes with a price tag. Teachers' well-being has been received a lot of lip service – "teachers, be sure to practice self-care!" – but the actual toll this situation is taking? Not really being discussed.

Thank goodness teachers have other teachers; I don't think I would have made it without my teacher friends because they're the only ones who really get it. I felt the same way 11 years ago during the upheaval that occurred because my fellow teachers kept me sane, made me laugh, and commiserated when things were absurd!

perfectly stated



It's really unbelievable to think it's been a whole year. I'm looking forward to things slowly getting back to "normal" because having spent the first half of this school year in an almost-empty building with only a tiny handful of students, I much prefer a building filled with busy, noisy, joyful kids!

Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment