Thursday, October 13, 2022

Surgery Underway

This is just a quick post to thank people for all of the support that's been sent our way this week.

The waiting has not been easy. An ongoing challenge of trying to get my mom in the best possible shape for surgery while managing her pain and her infection.

Because this has the potential to be an end-of-life situation, B1 and S1 were granted special permission to bring my niece and nephew to see her for 30 minutes. Because of some complications, my mom was in isolation, meaning we all had to wear masks, gowns, and gloves when we were in the room. The same held true for the little humans, and seeing them in all of the protective gear was so cute. Their presence definitely made a huge difference for my mom. My five-year old niece said that she learned in one of her books about "bacteria that is resistant to antibiotics and I think that's what Grandma has." My mom's nurse was both entertained and very impressed by this comment.

Speaking of nurses, they have been absolutely wonderful this week, providing the best, most attentive care. Not once did they say anything about the fact that most of the time, there were four of us visiting my mom, when the rule was only two visitors. I think they recognized our worry and the severity of the situation and kindly turned a blind eye.

We'd been told the surgery was tentatively scheduled for today, but even at 5:00 pm, we didn't know when it was going to happen. Then without warning, the transport team came to get her at 7:05 pm - B1 and B2 were with her, while C and I were downstairs in the cafeteria. B2 called and we rushed back to her room. When they were ready to take her, we had a chance to say goodbye and we all held her hand, then she and I made the trip down to the OR (one family member was allowed to accompany her to answer questions and speak with the anesthesiologist and surgeon before the procedure). They wheeled her away from me at 8:20 pm and now B1, B2, C, and I are together in the surgery center.

So now we wait. We love her more than words could ever say and being in this waiting room together, sharing happy memories and stories about her is helping us stay calm as best as we can.

I'm hoping the next time I write, I will have amazing news to share.

One incredible sign was that the nurse in the OR who handled the pre-op stuff was named Reyna. My grandma's name was Reina. My mom and I took this as a good omen that my grandma is with her and watching over her.

Please keep sending all of those good vibes her way.

last night she cheered on the Leafs
by wearing C's jersey
during the season opener

all together

in the elevator going down
to the OR

right before she went into surgery



Happy Tails to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment