Sunday, June 11, 2023

Birthday Surprise

Several weeks ago, five of my best friends surprised me with a birthday weekend getaway to celebrate my fiftieth birthday!

All I knew was that I was having lunch with one of them, so I was pleasantly surprised when she picked me up and there were actually two of them in the car! They told me they'd asked the others to join us, but they had other plans, and I didn't give it a second thought because I was just so happy for the three of us to be going out to lunch together.

After lunch, they told me that we were going strawberry picking for something fun to do, and what followed was a multi-hour drive during which time we laughed and chatted. I wondered what particular strawberry field we were going to because we seemed to be driving a fair distance, but I was enjoying the afternoon and their company, so I didn't ask any questions.

As we turned into a wooded resort area, they told me we weren't going strawberry picking, and I was immediately confused. I asked, in what may have been a slightly panicked voice, if we were going hiking, but I was assured we weren't, which brought relief but no further understanding of what was happening!

We pulled into an empty driveway and they announced that we had arrived, but I was still confused and I asked if we knew someone at the house. They said that it was ours for the weekend and that the three of us were having a girls' weekend for my birthday and that they had a bag in the car that C had packed for me. What?!?

It was honestly not my finest moment because I'm sure I looked like a deer in headlights as I tried to process everything. 

We went into the house and there were decorations and balloons everywhere, which only added to my confusion, and as I said, "How are there already balloons here," the other three jumped out from the kitchen and yelled, "Surprise!" Naturally I was shocked to see them and loved the explanations as they took turns telling me how they had pulled it off.

What followed was an amazing weekend of laughs and tears and stories and friendship, and the memories we made will last a lifetime.

I learned that they'd been planning the weekend since January. Honestly, weeks later, I'm still pretty speechless about it. The time, effort, and cost that went into this weekend - not to mention that they each gave up a weekend with their own families to be with me - are not lost on me and I am grateful beyond words for all they did. 

These women are more than best friends to me. They are truly my sisters from other misters. We spent years and years at the same school, and while there will only be two of us left after this year, our connection is not dependent on seeing each other every day. We've witnessed the highs and lows of life together, celebrating the wins and consoling each other during the losses. I was also the fifth grade teacher for four of their children and those kids are now grown up and driving and getting married and having children of their own. Despite their age, they will always be "my" kids, too.

I'm thrilled I've made it to the half-century mark and was able to spend an unforgettable weekend with these five phenomenal women who made me feel so very loved.

I don't know how I got so lucky, but I would do anything for them. I'm a firm believer in the idea that friends are the family we choose and these five are my family.

Rare as is true love,
true friendship is rarer.
~ Jean de la Fontaine ~








Happy tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment