Sunday, June 25, 2023

It's Like America, But South! Day 9

Medellin is an amazing city! We spent the day wandering around and I really love it here. It passes my vibe check with flying colors! We found ourselves in a less-than-desirable area at one point today, and still felt relatively safe; people here have left us alone, compared with constantly being approached and harassed by people in Cartagena. Everyone just seems to go about their own business and the few street vendors who tried to engage with us immediately gave up as soon as we shook our heads or held up a hand. No pressure, no badgering or intimidation tactics.

Something awesome that happened was that one of the main roads was blocked off for a running event and there were SO MANY dogs walking/running with their owners! It was like dog heaven! We saw several Huskies and also five Dachshunds within a span of about ten minutes, so that alone completely made my day!

We took the metro and that was the lowlight of the day for sure. Getting tickets was simple and the station was spacious and pretty clean, but the train was PACKED. I mean, worse than any other train we've ever been on. Absolutely jammed in like sardines and I had no less than four strangers touching me the entire time. When we got to our stop, I had to absolutely shove my way to the door. C told me to "Pronger it," which is a hockey reference we use often (and if you know who Chris Pronger is, you can picture how I had to fight my way to the door to disembark). Needless to say, once we finished exploring and were returning to the hotel, we avoided another metro ride and took an uber instead!

one of the best do not disturb signs I've seen












spotted a cool bridge from our uber

Here are my two big takeaways so far about Medellin:
1) it is an extremely dog-friendly city - there are things like the pics below all over!
2) it is a very pro-honking culture, and as someone who uses their horn all the time, I can appreciate this!


a spot for your dog to wait and have
a drink while you go into the store


More sights to see tomorrow!

Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment