Friday, June 23, 2023

It's Like America, But South! Day 7

It was our last full day in Cartagena and we did some exploring for a few hours before we simply could not take the heat and humidity any longer!

I've written before about the vibes I get when we visit a place and Cartagena is just not it for me.

The temperature certainly didn't help, but it's so much more than that. The street vendors are incredibly aggressive and I had to become outright rude for some of them to leave us alone. People on the street will walk right into you without so much as a backward glance. Shops/cafes didn't seem to care about getting our business - employees would be just talking on the phone or actively ignoring us until we finally left without ever being acknowledged. Overall, I am not at all impressed with this place whatsoever.

We did encounter two lovely places - a small gelato shop today and the restaurant we had dinner at yesterday (and returned to today because it was such a positive experience, the staff was amazing, and the food was out of this world...they remembered us from yesterday and were just as wonderful today!) - but I am honestly shocked that this is considered a tourist town because it doesn't feel welcoming or friendly at all. I absolutely do not foresee us returning to Cartagena when there are so many other places in the world we want to visit!

We are looking forward to the next leg of the trip where the temperatures appear to be reasonable so we'll be able to do so much more than just hide out from the heat in our hotel room! I understand how fortunate we are to be able to even visit South America, but I'm also going to be honest about the places we go. We are quite well traveled and Cartagena is one of, if not THE, least favorite of all the places we've ever been. I will not miss it!












Something I do miss is Avalanche and we got a few more pics from C's parents:

waiting to be fed

being dramatic about waiting to be fed

checking out what the humans
are eating for dinner

Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment