Wednesday, June 9, 2021

"It must be nice..."

Warning: this post is a bit of a rant!

I'm so tried of constantly hearing some version of "It must be nice to get paid summers off."

Let me be very clear.

I do not get paid summers off.

What a ludicrous thing to say.

I sign a contract to work for 195 days.
I am paid for those 195 contract days.

I am unpaid for the countless hours I work above and beyond those 195 contract days.

Technically, I don't have a job in the summer. One contract ends in mid-June and the next contract begins in mid-August. In between contracts, I don't have a job.

The claim that I get paid over the summer has a very simple explanation. Instead of only getting paid over the life of the 195-day contract, my salary is divided into 24 installments over an entire 365-day period. That's it. When I get a paycheck over the summer, it's money I have already earned. It's not money for doing nothing. I've already done the work and technically, my pay was withheld during the school year.

Is it nice to have summers off? Yes, it is.
But stop thinking I'm getting paid for doing nothing.
It's insulting and ignorant.

Teachers are already overworked and underpaid and perpetuating the idea that we get "paid summers off" is beyond tiresome!

The reality is that it is an absolute privilege to actually take the summer off. So many teachers I know tutor, or teach summer school, or do curriculum work, or get a job at Target or Starbucks in between teaching contracts. There are always mandatory professional development "opportunities" we are required to attend over the summer.

If we dare to have plans that prevent us from doing unpaid work that is asked of us, we are made to feel like we aren't doing enough, we aren't dedicated, we aren't team players.

It used to bother me and I would feel guilty if I was asked to attend a meeting or training or help out in some way and I couldn't due to a summer scheduling conflict. Fortunately, that's no longer the case! (Please see my "No. Nope. No Thanks." post!)

I've made it clear for months that I will be unavailable for the entire month of July. C and I are traveling and we're going to have an amazing time and I won't be thinking about school.

That doesn't mean I'm not doing enough. That doesn't mean I'm not dedicated. That doesn't mean I'm not a team player.

On the contrary, I strive to always do more than what is asked of me and I pride myself on my dedication to my job. As far as being a team player? Teaching is a team sport and I wouldn't be able to do my job without my fellow teachers!

So the next time you're inclined to make a snarky "paid summers off" comment to a teacher?
Don't.

What should you do instead?
Try saying, "Enjoy your summer break - you've earned it!"
My colleagues and I will love you for it!


Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment