Monday, June 7, 2021

No. Nope. No thanks.

I've worked really hard on getting more comfortable saying no to things that don't interest me. I'm a people pleaser by nature and frankly, it's not a quality I particularly admire about myself. When I say yes to something I don't really want to do, I end up feeling incredibly annoyed, and yet for a long time, not wanting to disappoint others was always my biggest concern.

Not anymore.

I've gotten bolder about saying no to requests and more importantly, not providing an accompanying explanation. 

"No." is a complete sentence!

If I don't protect my time, who will? There are only so many hours in the day and only so much of me to go around. I'm now very choosy about who and what are worthy. There's an idea about how what we choose to do today is important because we are trading a day of our lives for it, and I've taken that to heart.

The people-pleasing part of me really tries to be polite about it, but I'm not apologetic. It's a great feeling to say no and move on with my day instead of saying yes, feeling annoyed, dreading whatever it is, and being resentful while doing it. Fellow Schitt's Creek fans will appreciate that I keep these words in mind whenever someone makes a request:


Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment