Tuesday, July 20, 2021

30 in 30: Day 19

In one way, I'd been looking forward to this day since last summer when we made the reservation at Crater Lake Lodge.

In another way, I'd been looking forward to this day for 23 years.



My dad and I took a trip out to Crater Lake together back in 1998. I'd wanted to visit here so badly, and that trip, with just the two of us, is absolutely a core memory for me. I knew instantly that I'd found my favorite place when I first laid eyes on that gorgeous blue water. It remains to this day the only place that exceeded what I'd built it up to be in my mind before seeing it in person. It is the most magical and spectacular place to me and I promised myself that one day I would stay at Crater Lake Lodge.

Daily Stats
Starting Mileage: 39,458
Ending Mileage: 39,622
Miles Traveled: 164
States Visited: OR

We checked out of our hotel in Eugene this morning, then stopped by Voodoo Doughnut and a cool natural structure called the Skinner Butte Climbing Columns before driving to Crater Lake.





When we arrived at Crater Lake, we stopped at the first overlook, which is exactly where my dad and I first stopped in 1998 and the emotions that came flooding over me...indescribable. I took a video, and while it honestly doesn't capture the majesty of this place, no video ever really could! Still worth watching!




After a good long cry, standing at that overlook and soaking in the beauty, we made our way to the Lodge to check in and get settled. It's a beautiful hotel and our room is two stories - one level looks out at the valley and the second level looks out at the lake. Perfection!







the view from our room

We'll be enjoying every moment at the lodge and the park for the next few days...as I'm writing this, we are sitting in the lobby, enjoying a drink, and watching night descend on the lake. The soul-fortifying joy I'm experiencing cannot be overstated!

We went outside after dark to stargaze, so even though these pics were taken with my phone in the complete darkness, I think they turned out pretty well!



The Big Dipper
and Polaris


We also took a few pics around the lobby because apparently everyone had gone to bed!






we thought it was a
cool coincidence
that the room number
from the old lodge
that is on display is
the number of the room
we're staying in!

Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment