Thursday, July 22, 2021

30 in 30: Day 21

Today was our last full day at Crater Lake NP and we spent our time driving around the lake to various lookouts and also hiking about six miles of trails. It was such a beautiful day and while I'm sad to be leaving in the morning, I know we'll be back and I'm excited to continue our adventure!

Daily Stats
Starting Mileage: 39.779
Ending Mileage: 39,827
Miles Traveled: 48
States Visited: OR

I've gotten a few messages about the lake itself, so I thought I'd share a little info; I'm copying this directly from the official park map!

A massive volcanic eruption 7,700 years ago left a deep basin in the place where a mountain peak once stood. Centuries of rain and snow filled the basin, forming a deep blue lake whose waters are of unmatched color and clarity. It's the deepest lake in the United States. Why is the lake so blue? Other colors of the spectrum are absorbed. Blue wavelengths are scattered and seen by human eyes.

Two fun facts: 1) Crater Lake is 1,943 feet deep at its deepest point! and 2) Technically, it's not a crater. It's a caldera!






hiking essentials - water and bear spray,
but no bear sightings today!



















Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment