Friday, April 3, 2020

Family & Friends: Same Difference

When I was 11, my dad adopted me and it is one of the best things to ever happen in my life.

From an early age, it was clear to me that "family" was so much more than people who happen to be blood-related. It's the people who choose to love you.

When I got older, I realized that not only could friends be family, too, but also that family members can be some of your most cherished friends. Hence the word FRAMILY. On Fridays, my posts will be about friends and family; today's is about family!

One of my most proud titles is that of big sister. I absolutely adore my two brothers! Now that we are all adults, I love that we are definitely friends in addition to being siblings. Both of my brothers have gotten married, so I've gained two sisters I love very much! At my youngest brother's wedding last summer, we had matching t-shirts made, so I gave a brief speech at the reception to welcome our new sister into our pack.

One story I wish I had shared during that speech was about my newest sister. She is an only child, and a few months before the wedding, we were at her parents' house. My sister interjected some thoughts as her mom was telling stories, and after this happened a few times, her mom told her not to interrupt. The reply from my sister was priceless: "You wouldn't last two minutes in the King family!" It's hilarious to me because we are a fairly loud bunch when we are together and my brothers and I talk over each other all of the time. No one gets offended or annoyed; it's just what we do. However, all three of us married people who are from calm, quiet families…C and this sister are only children, and my other sister has one younger brother. All three of them, C included, have had to learn to just jump in if they have something to say because that's simply how things go when we're all together!

Why didn't I think to share that story at their wedding?!? "You wouldn't last two minutes in the King family!" will go down in family history as one of the most comical and spot-on statements ever! Argh! I'm still annoyed about that missed opportunity!

There were some unbelievably beautiful photos from that wedding last summer, but I have a clear-cut favorite. The shirts we had made were themed after the TV show Friends – there are six friends on the show and our new sister was the sixth member of our pack. When we presented the shirts, we called my brother and new sister up join the four of us, and the photographer captured the six of us in a group hug. I cannot even describe how much I love this picture because of what it represents and the memories I have from that moment.



Several years ago, I read The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart and a quote from the book sums it up perfectly:

"You must remember,
family is often born of blood,
but it doesn't depend on blood.
Nor is it exclusive of friendship.
Family members can be your best friends, you know.
And best friends,
whether or not they are related to you,
can be your family."


Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment