Wednesday, April 1, 2020

One Post A Day While Inside We Must Stay

I'm challenging myself to write a blog post every day in the month of April. Given that we are in the midst of a pandemic with orders to stay at home, I wasn't sure what I'd write about because not a lot of exciting things are currently happening. Solution? I came up with a theme for each day of the week!

Magical Monday
Travel Tuesday
Wiener Dog Wednesday
Thankful Thursday
Framily Friday
Sing Song Saturday
Sublime Sunday

For today's Wiener Dog Wednesday post, I thought I'd share that we recently picked up Riley's ashes. It's an amazing gift to have her remains as a concrete reminder of the place she will forever have in our hearts.

Her ashes are something physical I can hold in my hands, something I can talk to, and something I can sit with when I'm grieving. I've cried often over these past two weeks and it's comforting to know that she is now back home with us.



Her little urn joins the other six on the fireplace mantel in our bedroom.

What you see in this picture is, without a doubt, my most cherished and most heartbreaking treasure. The love and memories wrapped up in the lives of each of our dogs are part of my identity. Woven into my soul. I consider it one of the greatest honors of my life to have been their mom.

Molly
Gunni
Duchess
Chelsea
Sadie
Maddy
Riley


People have told me they think the rescue dogs we've adopted "hit the jackpot" when they joined our family. While it's certainly flattering to hear that, we've never felt like we were ever doing anything special or out of the ordinary. We just have a love for dogs that tend to be overlooked. I mean, who doesn't love an adorable puppy? I know I do! But rescue dogs, and in particular, seniors, who have been let down in one way or another by humans? A sweet old soul with a frosted face that longs for nothing more than a family and comfy place to sleep? My favorite.

So actually, we're the ones who hit the jackpot with each and every one of these awesome little dogs. While we never, ever, EVER get as much time with them as we would like, my devastation is overshadowed by the solace I take in knowing we could not have possibly loved them any more deeply. C and I are the ones who have been rescued!

Welcome home, Riley!

Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment