Wednesday, April 22, 2020

My Most Loyal Friend

I was thinking about what to write today and since it's Wiener Dog Wednesday, I looked over at Ginny to bounce some ideas off her – as you might imagine, she is an excellent listener. As I was looking at her little face, I was kind of overcome with emotion. Even though things are fine, and the people I love are healthy, and both C and I are fortunate to have jobs, it's still a strange and unsettling time!

Do you ever just have one of those moments when you are overwhelmed by feelings of joy and gratitude?

Ginny and I have been through losing seven of her sisters in less than ten years. That is an unbelievable amount of heartache. A billion tears shed. A constant awareness that they are no longer with us.

She and I have dealt with all of it together.

And when I looked over at her today, it just hit me how much I love her. And how grateful I am to have her with me. Up on the table beside me during all meetings. Beside me on the couch when I'm grading. Just with me wherever I am.

She's not a particularly snuggly dog, especially compared to some of our other girls; we've often joked that she is a cat trapped in dog's body because of her standoffish nature. But her loyal companionship is something I treasure immensely.

I thought about one of my favorite dog quotes of all time, and these words can certainly apply to any silent, devoted friend you may have in your life!


“I think dogs are the
most amazing creatures;
they give unconditional love.
For me they are the
role model for being alive.”


~ Gilda Radner ~



Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment