Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Birdseed Mess

I haven't written about my woodland friends in a while. I'm still feeding the squirrels every day and I have three birdfeeders hanging outside the kitchen and dining room windows. We usually have four squirrels visit daily, along with a pair of cardinals, several blue jays, a few doves, several crows, and some other birds I have yet to identify. I must admit that I haven't been doing much observing over the summer, but once school starts, I presume I'll be spending all of my time working at the dining room table with a view to the antics happening out on the deck throughout the day.

Well, I found a huge mess went I went outside to put the squirrel food out today. One of the birdfeeders was on the deck and birdseed was strewn everywhere. I don't know if the suction cups failed, which is certainly possible, or if one of the larger birds knocked it down. I'm pretty sure it couldn't have been squirrels because we put the birdfeeders up high and in the middle of the windows, but I have seen them try on multiple occasions!

this picture is from June...
the squirrel was climbing up the screen
trying to get to one of the birdfeeders


I suspect the mess will be gone in a day or two as the birds gobble up the birdseed, and then I'll re-hang the birdfeeder. I've been meaning to get a hummingbird feeder, so I'm planning on doing that this week and adding it to the deck. We've seen a few hummingbirds around over the past few weeks even without having a hummingbird feeder, so I'm hoping to see even more of them!




Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment