Wednesday, August 19, 2020

I'm Not Worried

The new school year has only just begun and I'm already in awe of my colleagues.

I've read and heard the most awful, ignorant, hateful, and ridiculous things about teachers over the past couple of months. All from people who have NO IDEA what it means to be a teacher. The same people who think nothing of expecting us to buy pencils and notebooks with our own money without complaint and place ourselves between their children and an active shooter without regard for our own families. It's insulting and infuriating.

What I've seen this week, this month, and this year, is that no matter what obstacles are placed in teachers' paths, they will rise to those challenges and overcome them. That's what teachers do. Identify obstacles and address them head on. Over and over and over again.

Every single teacher I know has been working tirelessly all summer - off the clock, I might add - so they will be ready to welcome their students to a rich learning environment in which all voices are valued and every student is given opportunities, experiences, and support to grow into thinkers and problem solvers. Everything teachers do is for their students.

So much of this work occurs behind the scenes, with no audience to cheer these teachers on as they tackle ever-changing expectations, unfamiliar technology, and endless questions. But I see them. I know what's happening when no one is looking. And I'm so proud to know these teachers. We needn't worry about instruction taking place virtually until it is safe to return to our buildings because the teachers are going to do what they always do - show up, every single day, with an unwavering belief in the potential of their students.




Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment