Friday, August 21, 2020

The One and Only Ivan

The movie version of The One and Only Ivan was released on Disney+ today! I was a bit apprehensive about watching it because I love the book very much and let's be real, the movie is rarely as good as the book!

Without giving away any spoilers, I thought the movie was fantastic! The movie does deviate from the book a little, but the heart of the story remains intact. The acting – that of both the live actors and voice actors – was wonderful and the CGI was impressive. It's definitely something you could watch without having read the book, although you'd really be missing out because the book is amazing.



There are many quotes to love in the book, and I thought I would share a few of my favorites here:


“A good zoo," Stella said, "is a large domain. A wild cage. A safe place to be. It has room to roam and humans who don't hurt." She pauses, considering her words. "A good zoo is how humans make amends.”


“Not long ago, a little boy stood before my glass, tears streaming down his smooth red cheeks. “He must be the loneliest gorilla in the world,” he said, clutching his mother’s hand. At times like that, I wish humans could understand me the way I can understand them. It’s not so bad, I wanted to tell the little boy. With enough time, you can get used to almost anything.”


“Memories are precious,” Stella adds. “They help tell us who we are.”


Now I'm off to read the sequel!



Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment