Sunday, May 3, 2020

Quarantine: Week 7

The highlight of the week was C's birthday, which is today, May 3!

I love this picture!


If you know me, you're well aware of how much I love The Office. Obsessed. I've loved it since we watched the first episode back in 2005. Every year, I would not delete any episode from the DVR until the DVDs of that season were released and in my hand. When we cleaned out all of our DVDs a while back, there was no way I was letting go of The Office. I honestly have no accurate count of how many times I've rewatched the series, but whenever I finish this Ph.D., it will be in no small part to The Office, which is always on in the background while I read and write. My family members roll their eyes at my constant quoting of the show or how in any given situation, I can usually come up with a connection to the show. My ringtone for C is the theme to The Office and has been for as long as I can recall – not just on my iphones, but it was even his ringtone on my Motorola Razr, if you remember that phone! Is my love for this show maybe an illness? Perhaps!

We tend to travel on or around C's birthday, but since we'd be home today, I decided to go with a small homage to Dwight's and Jim's party planning skills. C laughed when he saw the banner and the pitiful balloons, so I'd say it was a success! We also had a family zoom call to sing Happy Birthday and watch C blow out the candles on his cake, so overall, a pretty fun day despite the quarantine!



"I can't believe how bad this looks."

our kitchen table

"It's a statement of fact."

our kitchen

C's cake
it's not mustard yellow,
but it is a button down shirt!


C's favorite ice cream from our niece and nephew

my brother came to visit my mom and
Ginny was able to fawn all over Max

Ginny has had a huge crush on him for ten years
:)



The rest of the week was fairly quiet. Lots of end-of-semester grading to do, lots of zoom meetings, and daily car rides with Ginny. Not really different from the past many weeks, but in some ways, the routine is comforting! Scotty has continued his FB Live performances and Steven Page had another online concert, so entertainment this week has been spot on; we also finally watched The Mandalorian and it was great! I'd already had a fondness for Baby Yoda/The Child prior to watching the series, but now? Oh my! I love him/her!

Scotty

Steven Page

Bananagrams is a super fun game!

We have been missing hockey terribly during this quarantine, so we've been watching re-runs of games, which has been fun because they're been broadcasting some of the big series-winning and Cup-winning games. Well then today, the greatest game ever was on TV...the 2010 Olympics when Team Canada beat Team USA in overtime on the Golden Goal by Sidney Crosby! Being able to re-live that game today was incredible!

be still my heart

the pride is indescribable


C bought me a few new hats! I share my name with the L.A.Kings, so that's a hockey team I've been a fan of since my teen years when I realized the name connection. Well, C found a hat with the team's initials, LAK, on it – and of course, these are my initials, too! LOVE!!!







I've also done a little more baking – I'm not sure what happening to me, but I am actually starting to enjoy baking, rather than just doing it to pass the time! I made banana bread again, and also tried a salted chocolate chip shortbread cookie recipe. Delicious! I was really proud of them because I don't have a stand mixer and had to do everything by hand, which was a ton of work. It was rewarding to have them taste great in the end because they were a labor-intensive endeavor!



The big outing of the week was a trip to Primanti Bros. for a takeout/car picnic lunch. It was a beautiful day for a drive and it made things seem a little normal for a few hours!



Unfortunately, the Disney Cruise my mom and I were scheduled to enjoy next month was cancelled. In all honesty, I'm relieved, because there are still so many unknowns and my mom's health is the only thing that matters. But we are both a little disappointed because we were really looking forward to it before all of this craziness started! I had also planned to attend a conference in Orlando next month that was cancelled. As the result of both of these things being cancelled, I cancelled two trips to WDW next month that were planned around the cruise and the conference. Again, I'm always in the camp of "better safe than sorry," but it still stinks that those trips were cancelled! I do have faith that sooner or later, we'll be able to take all sorts of trips!

we bought matching pj pants for the cruise,
but since we don't have to save them for that,
we decided to wear them for fun


Happy Tails to you!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday to C! Love what you did with the balloons!

    ReplyDelete