Wednesday, May 27, 2020

The Right to Vote




"Citizenship is the chance
to make a difference
to the place
where you belong."

- Charles Handy - 

Today is a very important day in my life...it's not only my birthday, but it's also the day when I became an American Citizen.

I lived in America for nine years without having the right to vote. I worked, I went to school, I taught, I paid taxes...I even got married in America. But I couldn't vote.

I became a citizen on May 27, 2004 and I remember it like it was yesterday. It was one of those events where you mark time as being before that day and then afterwards.

I love my Canadian roots and how Canada's culture shaped who I have become. I also love what America represents and how being an immigrant has influenced me in countless ways. I like to think of myself as a "Americanadian" because it encompasses the best of both worlds!

I'm so proud to be from Canada.

But I'm even more proud to be able to vote in the country I've chosen to call home.

The fact that my citizenship ceremony happened to land on my birthday was a lovely coincidence and it makes this day incredibly special to me. I'm overjoyed to celebrate 16 years of being an American Citizen today! May 27 is actually two birthdays for me - as a Canadian and as an American!

Happy Tails to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment